Production Clear Question

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:46 pm
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone has used *** Production Clear? I'm going to be shooting it next week with a GTi ProLite. As per the TDS, "Urethane Retarder may be added at 1-3oz per mixed quart of clear. Up to 50 % can be
added for the last coat or flow coat."

I know it will come down to spraying test panels to see how it turns out but what do the people that are familiar with it normally do?

Thanks,

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:05 am
Production clear is a medium high solids clear meant for quick repairs done at body shops.
It is designed to look good at 2 coats and closely match factory applied clear.

Personally, I like high solids clear, like the Euro (my favorite) or the Universal (which stays a bit softer for show cars that need repeated buffing.)

I experimented with Retarder when painting a 1990 Miata. While the clear does flow out much longer and lays down nice, I personally think it lacks the clarity of a nice cut and buff.

Retarder.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:33 pm
I suspect OP's talking about "reducer", not "retarder".

50% retarder? :shocked:

I use production clears quite regularly. Used to add 3-5% reducer if a bit cool or the clear was a bit heavier viscosity. You can add up to 20% reducer, not retarder, for a flow coat but watch out for runs!! 10% is a bit better, using a slow reducer for more flow out, but watch it on the vertical panels.

I do use retarder (up to 5%) in acrylic clear quite regularly. Along with a very slow thinner it lays and flows beautifully - better than any urethane.
Last edited by NFT5 on Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:39 pm
NFT5 wrote:I suspect OP's talking about "reducer", not "retarder".

:shocked: me too.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:54 am
badsix wrote:
NFT5 wrote:I suspect OP's talking about "reducer", not "retarder".

:shocked: me too.
Jay D.
Thanks Guys. I assumed that it was reducer although I copied that right off their TDS. Since I have never used this clear, I will see how it looks mixed and perhaps add 10% med reducer and spray a test panel and then adjust from there. I know I should look it up myself but, what exactly is retarder, is it a very slow combo of reducer or activator?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:38 pm
Rebel Racing wrote:what exactly is retarder, is it a very slow combo of reducer or activator?

It's an ultra slow reducer or thinner, not activator. It's used mainly for acrylic clear or DG to lengthen the time that the paint remains liquid and settles down flat. Also used to correct blushing.

I usually use PPG Dulon AAA thinner with acrylic and this is quite slow compared to the Multi-Midway which is generally sold by most manufacturers. Even then I use only 5-10% retarder in the mix. With COVID supply chain issues the AAA has become very difficult to get so I've been using the Dulux version which is formulated by Nippon Paint and is almost as good.

There are retarders formulated for urethane paints as well, but not used so much since these can usually be controlled with slow reducers and activators. Acrylic (aka lacquer) is usually not activated and has a much higher percentage of thinner in the mix so it flashes very fast. The retarder stops this happening so you get a nice wet coverage.
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:55 pm
NFT5 wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:what exactly is retarder, is it a very slow combo of reducer or activator?

It's an ultra slow reducer or thinner, not activator. It's used mainly for acrylic clear or DG to lengthen the time that the paint remains liquid and settles down flat. Also used to correct blushing.

I usually use PPG Dulon AAA thinner with acrylic and this is quite slow compared to the Multi-Midway which is generally sold by most manufacturers. Even then I use only 5-10% retarder in the mix. With COVID supply chain issues the AAA has become very difficult to get so I've been using the Dulux version which is formulated by Nippon Paint and is almost as good.

There are retarders formulated for urethane paints as well, but not used so much since these can usually be controlled with slow reducers and activators. Acrylic (aka lacquer) is usually not activated and has a much higher percentage of thinner in the mix so it flashes very fast. The retarder stops this happening so you get a nice wet coverage.
Thanks Chris.....that explains it perfectly. I'll shoot it without reducer and experiment with reducer to get the flow I like on test panels .

Return to Body and Paint