Priming over old finish and prepping old Tahoe

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:08 pm
Almost all the clearcoat is blistered or gone from the door handles up on my old Tahoe. I plan on repainting it up come spring . In The meantime I want to get it sanded and prepped as much as I can during the cold weather. I am most likely going to use acrylic enamel for the repaint. It's been a long time since I painted a car and all my experience is with laquer or enamels. Yep I'm an old fart. The paint is in good condition from door handles down and I plan on leaving that, and running a blue and white vinyl stripe back to front to separate the old and new paint. (so no blending.) What I need to know is what is the proper primer for the new finish on the top half of the beast. While I am just trying to spruce the old gal up a bit, I am unfamiliar with with BC/CC or how it will react as a substrate for other types of paint. Also is there anyplace on line that mixes by paint code and ships product.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:13 pm
:welcome: Well one old fart to another old fart. you're going to want to sand all that bad clear coat off. then beings you're not going to shoot color soon, i would shoot a couple coats of epoxy primer. one problem with this is your temperature where you are, epoxy kinda goes stagnant at temps below about 55 deg. it really depends on the epoxy, i've had some that cured good at 55 and some that didn't. you can play with induction times in a warm room and make it work a little better. BUT IF you think you're going to have a temperature problem then just shoot some good hi-build primer on it.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint