raised cracks after second base coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:09 am
Almost the opposite cracks/crinkling from Audio96 in that they are raised up, I got this after I sealed and waited about 45 minutes, put down my first coat of base and all looked good. Waited about 15 minutes after spraying and lightly ran a tack rag over then put down the second coat. Waited another 15 and went in to spray a third but in only two areas i have this raised cracking going on. Did i put it a bit thick here and it wasnt cured enough? I'm using ppg shopline, its a metallic, and although i'm in texas it was cold. Had the shop up to about 65-70 for several hours before painting but probably around 60 by the time this happened as my heaters wont keep up with the fans going. I know i should wait longer then the 5-10 minutes tack time but the paint was dull and not tacky so i though i was waiting long enough. Since i had the paint in the gun i shot a small area where i had bumped it with the hose and this area crinkled like the photos on contact. Using PPG shopline.

Also, enlarge the photo - the paint looks grainy to me. is this normal for a metallic, my first metallic? I have no orange peel which is a first for me but it almost looks like a grainy texture.
Attachments
crinkling1b.jpg

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:08 pm
what did you seal with ? Urethane sealer ?
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:15 pm
Yes, JP367 urethane 2k sealer, one medium-light coat. this is after the whole car was done in shopline primer and blocked and sanded to 600. some burn thru to epoxy sealer during the sanding, but sealer went on well.

Return to Body and Paint