Removeable overspray?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:14 am
First off, thanks to the owner for providing a great forum for the folks doing car restos. This is my first post so bear with me. I did a forum search and couldn't find anything on this topic which admittedly is a bit weird.

My car is just coming back from the paint shop (yes, I should have done it myself...wayyyyy over budget) and my intent is to have it judged for a concours level restoration if the final result is worthy. I am 6 years into this and have done everything other than the paint myself.

One of the final details for the paint is the underbody overspray that the factory originally did. Personally, I hate the thought of taking this car and messing up the underside with sloppy overspray, but this is big area for point deductions. A weird hobby I know!

The underside is a BC-CC of red oxide (it is a 70 Camaro) that when the car was originally built was done through a dip bath. The car color is BC-CC and when it was painted I had them tape off around the rocker pinch weld so no overspray on the underside. The BC was matched to a pint of PPG Duracryl I've had since I got the car in the 70's. The match was just about perfect and I have most of this pint left to use.

My question then is, can I apply the acrylic lacquer as an overspray in such a way, possibly over a release coat of some sort, that I might after judging be able to remove it later without affecting the underbody color? A strange question I know and contrary to what most want in a paint job. I would not want to have to attempt to abrasively remove it as this would of course mess up the underbody CC. Something along the lines of a W&G remover level of chemical would be perfect.

So, anybody have any suggestions or is this a lost cause?

Thanks in advance for reading this long winded question.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:31 pm
just my opinion, but i think i would take the point deduction. you headed for a horrible mess applying lacquer overspray to the underside, THEN trying to get it off without making a mess. here's an idea, if this overspray is to be JUST TEMPARARY. you could posibly spray the underside with a paint booth coating. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/d/b40067411/ if you have a lift a SMALL pressure washer would work well to remove it. i would check for compatibility of these materials
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint