Polyester primer technique

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:37 pm
I am in the stages of final bodywork on my 1972 TransAm clone.

I have ppg epoxy primer on the car now. is it ok to apply polyester filler/primer on top of the epoxy?

I want to apply evercoat 4:1 polyester primer after the epoxy is well cured.

when applying the polyester primer do you let the 1st coat cure before spraying the 2nd coat or is there a flash time and then go right into the 2nd coat?

this is only my 2nd effort at painting my own car. first one I did was 13 years ago so I have learned a lot and am using a much different process this time.

New to this forum, Thank you for the help I will have a ton more questions!
Attachments
20221229_113021.jpg
20221229_110654.jpg
Eric

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:10 pm
First thing you need to do is look up the Technical Data Sheets for each of the products that you have or intend to use.

You can get generic replies here but sometimes there are specifics that apply your particular product. Generally, the answer is yes, you can use a polyester filler over epoxy. What sanding is necessary and various wait periods will be detailed in the TDS for each product.

The question I'd ask, though, is do you need the polyester? It looks like you've already done some blocking of the epoxy. Is it so bad as to need an extra thick layer of filler? Remember that the thicker the total of paint and fillers the higher the chance of failure. Above about 300μm this risk is exponential and polyester filler can exceed this thickness by itself.

If the panels are good, maybe it just needs another coat or two of epoxy then block sanding, or maybe you need to go to a urethane high fill primer. Or maybe do some panel beating first. Anything to avoid that last resort spray bog.
Chris

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:44 pm
thank you for the reply.

I'm a novice and really had not thought or knew that applying to much thickness can cause problems.

I research a lot and had noticed many use the evercoat 4:1 and like the results. usually stated most winds up dust on the floor as its used for final leveling?

Appears I need to rethink it some, I do agree I would rather not have thick filler I don't need. ugh, sometimes i scare myself out of doing the final spray. like most, got a lot in the car and sure don't want a final mediocre job on it after so much work prior.

so would it be a general consensus continuing with more epoxy primer would be better that using the 4:1 filler?
Eric

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:41 pm
it looks good, have you sanded the epoxy some. try blocking it with 180 just to see what it looks like. if it needs more then i would do 2-3 wet coat of urathane hi build. then guide coat it and start blocking, 180 agian. the hi-build its easier to apply easier to sand. i don't really like the polyester spray, I've seen problems with it after its aged. maybe it wasn't applied right or something. you see a lot of celebrity's use it because its maybe fast and easy, but fast and easy aren't always the best way.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:13 pm
so here it is as of today, removed flares, spoiler etc and blocked everything with 220.

it has 1 coat over new sheetmetal areas and 2 coats over areas of filler.

I was going to use the polyester next then block again, then epoxy and final block.

this is why I wanted to inquire further about the polyester. I don't think my panels need a thick filler, the bummer is I had bought it a year ago so if not used I eat it. but would rather eat it then screw it all up with it. I was hesitant to use it now anyway. just doesn't seem to need it.

the white pic is the end result as far as looks but I could only dream of it looking that nice.
Attachments
TA PIC.jpg
20221231_135606.jpg
20221231_135757.jpg
20230102_154803.jpg
Eric

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:18 am
Nobody, except someone there with you, can make a judgement as to how straight it is, just from photos.

The only way is to dry guide coat it and, using a long, hard block, sand it all down to show the highs and lows. See my post here for some ideas on suitable blocks.

Don't take the easy way out though. You can make that car look just like the pictured one - just put in the effort.
Chris

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:41 am
thank you, yes the pics were just to show folks where i'm at with it. and what my dream is for it.

and no, its not straight right now. just getting started.

I will definitely read your link to block sanding. I have quite a few blocks and am using upol dry guide coat.

the rear quarters are where I struggle most, multiple curves at top of them and transition to others. I don't know if I should sand up and over them all in long stretches or smaller areas moving to others?

decided i'm not going to use the polyester. it makes more sense to me to build up thinner and gradually than a thick coat of something and try and one hit wonder it.

really appreciate the input from experienced folks here. i'm 61 and am still learning.

i'm trying to build the car as a very nice driver. doesnt have to be like the white picture I'm not after show car by any means. I will drive the heck out of it. been restoring it from a base Firebird since 2015 and finally on the home stretch since I retired last april and finally have time. pic of when it was coming together.
Attachments
20200402_132620.jpg
Eric

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:09 pm
The prep before the painting is the key to a great paint job.

I started using 3M Dry Guide coat a few projects back and liked it so much I posted a few pictures of the process. It ended up being a Sticky Post at the top of this forum.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=17445

As for polyester primer, I have used it on two different projects because the panels were so dinged up that they needed a complete skim coat of filler. That is really the only time it's needed.

This is the bed of a '69 Chevy C10 being media blasted. There are issues everywhere.
Media blasting.JPG

Once the basting was completed I shot two coats of epoxy primer.
Epoxy Primer Left side.JPG

I worked all the big dents out has best I could but there were so many smaller issues, it made the move to Polyester Primer a wise choice.
This is two coats of G2 FeatherFill using a 2.0 tip.
Poly Primer Front Left Quarter.JPG

NOTE: Polyester primer chemically hardens just like body filler, so you better get it on and get your spray gun cleaned immediately.

Guide Coat and then block sand to get everything smooth and straight. Like you stated most of it will be sanded off.
Blocking Poly Primer on left quarter.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint