Epoxy primer & 2k primer difference

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:41 pm
I'm confused on using epoxy primer and what is the difference in it and 2k primer?

I was going to continuing building and blocking with epoxy. is this wrong?
Eric

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:16 pm
Epoxy primer uses an epoxy as its base and hardening is done with a non-isocyanate activator.

Epoxy can be used as a high build primer but tends to be a bit expensive to use as a dust cover on your floor. 2K high build primer uses an isocyanate hardener and doesn't always have the same rust preventative qualities as epoxy but is better suited to be sanded off and also to higher builds.

That said, there are Down To Metal 2K primers and high build epoxies but the general consensus is that a high build 2K over epoxy covering bare metal gives the best overall protection and value for money.
Chris

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:09 pm
thank you. that certainly saves me money.

I feel i'm pretty good with the mechanical and panel welding etc, but the bodywork side I don't know much about. iv'e done everything myself so far.

picture of my car as purchased in Nebraska in 2015. was a rusty car, so glad all thats behind me.
Attachments
DSC06232.JPG
base firebird
Eric

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:38 am
At the top of each Forum there are Sticky Posts that cover a variety of topics.

In the Body and Paint forum you will find topics like: Prepping a vehicle for paint

In the Welding and Metal Fab forum you find: Basics of Metal Work

You can also visit the Info Center for articles written on various aspects of Body Work and Painting.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:40 am
so if you use 2k primer do you have to spray a sealer before basecoat? if so, what type of sealer?
Eric

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:18 pm
A sealer is rarely really necessary between primer and basecoat. Possibly when you have multiple layers of unknown paints or perhaps if you want to use a white sealer to avoid the grey undercoat darkening a white basecoat (also yellow, red and some blues). Otherwise, primer is, if correctly sanded, a perfect substrate for basecoat.

Most epoxies have an option to over-reduce to make a non-sanding mix. This works pretty well in most cases. I've tried the 2K ones and been underwhelmed.
Chris

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:23 pm
A sealer coat is not necessary as long as your 2k primer is properly sanded and has a consistent color without any putty/filler or sand throughs showing.

Some colors require a sealer coat tinted to help with base coat coverage. Read your Technical Data Sheet.

Base coat coverage varies depending on the quality of your product and the color.
Some guys will put a white sealer coat under Yellow, Orange or Red to help brighten the look.

Oops, looks like Chris beat me to it.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Return to Body and Paint