First Time With Cromax Clear

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:07 pm
Rebel Racing wrote:...We applied those raised decals and literally an hour later it was picked up--cut it right down to the wire...

Rebel

Looks awesome!

Did you end up putting those details on over the clear or???
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:23 pm
OldFatBald wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:...We applied those raised decals and literally an hour later it was picked up--cut it right down to the wire...

Rebel

Looks awesome!

Did you end up putting those details on over the clear or???
Tri coat and then they just stuck over the clear. Everyone I talked to recommended to NOT clear over them. I can see how the clear could "glob" up on them and drip or at best muddy up the edges. Owner was happy as it sits so, I am happy.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:58 pm
NFT5 wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote: My supplier mixed the clear and tint in 1 can and gave me another can of activator to mix in myself at home.

My guess then is that he mixed the tinter based on the weight of the clear only, no activator. So you would have ended up with only 2/3 the amount of tinter that you should have had. That would explain the colour difference.

With these "factory candies" you definitely don't need extra coats of clear on top. Especially when doing repairs because that will result in your repair looking much better/smoother than the rest of the car. If doing a 'complete' (whether car or bike or whatever) then you can put the extra clear on top if you feel that its necessary to wetsand and buff but it should go on as a flowcoat, after the initial tinted clear has cured and been denibbed.

Rebel Racing wrote:Lastly I don't think you are a "crotchety old bugger"

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I might need it the next time my comments are deemed dickish and a member leaves in search of the answer he wants, rather than the answer he needs. Like most people I'm happy to help someone who's prepared to have a go.
I
Thought it was a bit strange that he told me that it needed another of 3 coats "regular clear" Especially when he told me it was just a tinted version of their regular clear. Maybe the perils of dealing with a different supplier with a different line that I have not used before. Well, I can't second guess this supplier but you seem to have a much better handle on this color. Maybe I am lucky the owner is happy.
I'm just a hack painter and am NEVER offended by advice from anyone with more experience than I, I have VERY thick skin I. I have read all the posts that you have answered and have never thought you were "dickish" I just figured if you didn't like my post you would hit delete and carry on.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:03 am
Outright bragging.....someone on a vintage bike forum shot this pic of the bike I did and posted it--he doesn't know me or the owner. Owner is happy with the job I did so I am also. I agree that the color should be darker but...
321250082_692959135511892_8081067262301358775_n.jpg

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:18 pm
:goodjob: :clap: :bighug: YOU DA MAN!!!!! ITS ALWAYS nice when someone else likes your work.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
Previous

Return to Body and Paint