Is Restoration Shop stuff any good??

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:41 pm
I was thinking more along the lines of big name Brands selling both high dollar and bargain priced products.

PPG sells Deltron, Omni, Shop-line, etc. Definitely a difference in pricing and quality of products.

BASF sells Glasurit, R-M, Limco, etc. Again huge difference in pricing and quality.

So why is one considered "top of the line" and another a "lost cost" alternative? There has to be a difference as anyone who has sprayed Limco and then Glasuit will tell you.

Also, some of these manufacturers sell their lower level clears and colors to other companies for relabeling and sales.

I get what you are saying about new manufacturers trying to sell their products. The reason I tried Es Pee Eye epoxy primer was because I couldn't justify the pricing of PPG's DPLF. The reviews were great and after using it a couple of times, I never went back to PPG.

Also, started with PPG's Omni base coat. Hated it, so I tried BASF's RM Diamont, which I used on my signature car. Loved it but it too was quite pricey even back then.

When doing the '65 Buick Special, I tried a more middle of the road priced base called ProSpray and that became my go to for a while. Experimented with Limco and Wanda and wasn't crazy about either. Now I am using the Automotive Art Motobase LV and it does a great job. Again a moderately priced alternative to the top brand names.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:15 pm
I used PPG for a lot of years but they priced me out of their market. I do use shop line plus, I also on occasion use Automotive Art and Tamco. I do wonder how much of PPG's higher price is for quality versus paying for race car sponsorships, Good Guys sponsorship, etc. I do like PPG products, especially if someone else is paying the bill.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:19 pm
:goodpost: I like your attitude. PPG is expensive no doubt about it.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
Previous

Return to Body and Paint