Painting WHITE

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:38 am
well, a rookie learned thing yet again.

I thought white was the easiest color to spray. as it would be, it turns out I am hearing its the most difficult. now i'm really nervous! have 5 years in my restoration and sure don't want to flop on the paint.

what tips are recommended for spraying white?

one big tip posted hear already I had never thought of, the "snow blind" effect of not being able to see your overlap and "where you've been" when spraying white.

I guess I was confusing that white tends to show defects less than colors and was not thinking of the application. ugh
Eric

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:55 am
It just takes experience, it's like spraying in a dark room,
you have to develop a feel more than sight.
Usually after painting with the same gun for a while you
don't really even have to hardly look at the paint you're laying down, you
just mechanically move like you always had.
It feels natural.
Once you get to that point in spraying you get less runs and
a better overall finish but it takes many hours of spraying to get there.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:01 am
its a reality check but saddens me to think I may be better off hiring out the paint.
Eric

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:09 am
Buckwheat wrote:its a reality check but saddens me to think I may be better off hiring out the paint.

That really depends on your pocket book and if this is your only project.

If you plan on restoring or painting other cars in the future, then now is the time to learn how. However, if this is the only vehicle you want completed, then paying someone to do might be the better option.

I wrote and article that deals with this issue: https://www.autobody101.com/content/art ... ould-know/
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:49 pm
:goodpost:
JCCLARK wrote:It just takes experience, it's like spraying in a dark room,
you have to develop a feel more than sight.
Usually after painting with the same gun for a while you
don't really even have to hardly look at the paint you're laying down, you
just mechanically move like you always had.
It feels natural.
Once you get to that point in spraying you get less runs and
a better overall finish but it takes many hours of spraying to get there.
:goodpost: very right you are! i hate to spray white. I've tried different colored glasses. but no better.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:57 pm
Buckwheat wrote:its a reality check but saddens me to think I may be better off hiring out the paint.
Hi Eric,

I'll put in my .02 here--coming from a hobby painter (at best). IMO, if you already have the equipment and the desire, then go for it. Very worst case is you mess up and need to sand it all down and start fresh--happened to me more than a few times. When it happened, I thought of it as a learning experience. When it turns out great you'll probably want to do more--that's what happened to me. I started out doing 1 job outside each summer--either bike parts or single panels on cars. It was a learning curve for sure but for me, it very satisfying to turn out a good job either for myself or a friend.

Having said all that, if this is the only job you think you will do and don't have the equipment, financially, it might be cheaper to hire it out. Just my thoughts.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:55 pm
I appreciate the reply's for sure. I am glad to know the difficulty I was completely unaware of. I thought white was the easiest!

I am at a crossroads. I have had quite a few cars thru the years. I'm 61 and recently retired. I have restored this car for 5 years and finally almost ready for paint. I have a nice shop and all the equipment for painting the car except the spray gun.

thing is also, the car will have to be painted apart. fenders/doors off due to a complete sand down and prime. wonder if this will make painting white a bit easier?

my budget for a base/clear spray gun is $600.

I know the paint etc is expensive. but if I were to have a shop do it, I dont want to pay all that labor for the car apart and assembly. and I doubt a shop will want a car brought up in parts, painted, and me retrieve it in parts.

I do plan on this being my last and only effort. I feel I have done a very nice job on the restoration and I have to much in the car to settle for a mediocre paint job. I dont want show, but a very nice driver. same as a original looking job.

even with the price of a quality gun, I would be money ahead on cost but what about my paint quality. i'm at a crossroads. so what would you do?
Eric

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:28 pm
Buckwheat wrote:...I am at a crossroads. I have had quite a few cars thru the years. I'm 61 and recently retired. I have restored this car for 5 years and finally almost ready for paint. I have a nice shop and all the equipment for painting the car except the spray gun.

thing is also, the car will have to be painted apart. fenders/doors off due to a complete sand down and prime. wonder if this will make painting white a bit easier?

my budget for a base/clear spray gun is $600.

I know the paint etc is expensive. but if I were to have a shop do it, I dont want to pay all that labor for the car apart and assembly. and I doubt a shop will want a car brought up in parts, painted, and me retrieve it in parts.

I do plan on this being my last and only effort. I feel I have done a very nice job on the restoration and I have to much in the car to settle for a mediocre paint job. I dont want show, but a very nice driver. same as a original looking job.

even with the price of a quality gun, I would be money ahead on cost but what about my paint quality. i'm at a crossroads. so what would you do?

One and done? Pay someone else if you want it perfect. Have you painted before? Is it really "ready for paint" I only do little projects but my last hood that I did, I thought it was "ready for paint" until I sprayed sealer on it. Back outside it went for more filler and sanding, lots and lots of sanding.

"I don't want show, but a very nice driver. same as a original looking job."

I call BS on that, if you have spent that much time on one car, you are going to want it perfect. In my weekender hack hobbyist opinion, a project car's paint is either "Perfect" or it has some eff ups.

If you don't mind sanding stuff over and its not some crazy pearl white go for it, BTW, cheap paint is not going to be your friend, otherwise even in Kansas you should be able to find someone that could shoot it for you.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:56 pm
Buckwheat wrote:even with the price of a quality gun, I would be money ahead on cost but what about my paint quality. i'm at a crossroads. so what would you do?
If I was doubting my abilities, I would get a fender or deck lid from the wreckers to practice on, do all the same prep and shoot it until I got the finish I was satisfied with and then do my complete car. That's what I would do. Not saying that is the best approach but, that is my opinion.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:56 pm
after reading your last post you sound like you REALLY want to do this. i can't recommend a good gun. make sure you have all the necessary filters and water traps. it should be much easier doing it in sections. and color match won't be a problem. as someone else said try and pick up an old fender wipe it off and try out your new gun on it. you can do this, if you have questions ASK, and PLEASE keep us updated.
i use to help judge a car show are club put on, 200 or so cars. i would give out a nicest paint job award, not necessarily the most expensive but had to be nice. i would look for people that did it themselves. one year i gave it to a guy that it was his first time painting a car. it was a black 67 GTO, trust me the body work and paint were absolutly flawless. and i looked hard to find something wrong. oh i forgot to mention he did it in a small garage.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
Next

Return to Body and Paint