Is this Rust able to be fixed?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:30 pm
I have concerns that the estimates I get are going to be pretty high on the roof. Is there only one expensive way to go about this. Or is there a more affordable option that addresses the main issue of rust and anything beyond that done cheaply?

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:52 pm
shoebox wrote:I have concerns that the estimates I get are going to be pretty high on the roof. Is there only one expensive way to go about this. Or is there a more affordable option that addresses the main issue of rust and anything beyond that done cheaply?
Fixing it right will not be cheap. Just my opinion, but if it is a cheap fix it won't be done right.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:49 am
I'm thinking that at the moment if I could just address the rust could go I go back at a later date to do things right? My main concern is the rust eating a hole into my roof. I would rather at least fix the rust then not do anything because too expensive.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:51 am
i'll bet you all ready have a hole on the roof, its just plugged with rust. by the time you get it clean there's probably going to be a hole there. i believe that there is a lap weld or something there where the center skin meets the edge skin they then fill it with seam sealer. most likely the rust has started in that lap of the 2 pieces of metal. now its creeping out around the sealer. i think you'll find a lot more when you get into it ( get the sealer out). sorry for being so negative. there is really no good way to do it cheap or half a**ed until you see just how bad it really is. if you try and put something on it to kill or slow down the rust its just going to be on the surface. and not really do any good. here's my fix 2 layers of duct tape until you can spend some time on it.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:44 pm
chopolds wrote:I'm not sure an estimate from a bodyshop (NOT a restoration shop) is a good idea. Regular body shops in my area are not equipped, not are the people there trained to do quality rust repair, or sheet metal fabrication work.

As I said, I don't believe most shops can do fab work, and serious rust repair, correctly.

What questions would I ask the shop to see whether they are capable of doing a quality rust repair and quality sheet metal fabrication work?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:13 am
The majority of restoration shops I visited limited their work to classic cars. One shop I went to quoted me $1000 for roof and two doors. I asked how he would repair the rust on the roof and he mentioned he would ospho the area and use fiberglass filler I believe, some kind of filler. He said getting into welding would be too costly. Any opinions pls

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:05 am
shoebox wrote: Any opinions pls

Don't. It's going to be a cheap and nasty repair that will come back to bite you.

Metal to fibreglass joins are rarely successful since they expand and contract differently. Get it done, properly, in metal
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:35 am
A resto shop that would only treat the rust, and then fill it, is not a good shop. OR..they are luring you in with a cheaper price (yes, 1000$ is relatively cheap for the kind of work you need), then hit you up when they "uncover" the holes in the metal, that need to be cut out and welded.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:18 am
You are now three pages in and the overall assessment is the same.

If you plan to keep the car and want it to look good for another 10-20 years, spend the money and get it done right. That means replacing all the rusted metal and repainting the car.

If the car is not worth that much money to you, then just drive it until it you're ready to buy a new one.

It's decision time!
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:29 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:You are now three pages in and the overall assessment is the same.

If you plan to keep the car and want it to look good for another 10-20 years, spend the money and get it done right. That means replacing all the rusted metal and repainting the car.

If the car is not worth that much money to you, then just drive it until it you're ready to buy a new one.

It's decision time!

Unless grandpa drove that thing over here during WWII (a 2004?) from Sweden, sand the rust, spray some rattle can cold galv on it, sell it and throw in some extra money and buy one from out here in California (away from the ocean). Drive it home and take care of it.

Seriously, what is that car worth in Good shape? $5k?

I have to admit, I would never have thought that an old late 60s Chevy C-10 would bring such monies as they currently do, but a 2004 Volvo???
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint