Darken up a metallic silver

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:41 pm
Hello all, new to the forums and new to automotive painting. I recently painted a bumper with a NasonXL base and clear in color code KX6 for an Infiniti. Everything came out great except the color which is way more silver than anticipated and unfortunately I did not blend anything to the fenders or hood. I went to a local paint store and got them to match the paint currently on the fender using their colorimeter and got some more paint using that particular mixture. My question is in order to get a better match using the new paint can I just sand down the clear and do a drop coat and clear to help with the color match, or should I just go ahead and do 2 new coats of the new color and clear it again? Any help or suggestions is much appreciated.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:40 pm
Even using a spectro doesn't "guarantee" a perfect match. In fact most paint companies recommend that where a panel is painted edge to edge, that it is then blended into adjacent panels.

Technique can also make a difference to colour, especially on silvers. Heavier coats will darken the look, lighter coats can bring the metallic closer to the surface.

Do a spray out card using the same technique that you use in spraying and see how that looks against the bar you've done. Then do another one with a heavier final coat and another with a light drop coat. See which one is closest to the guard.

Rub your bar back with P800 wet if you need to flatten the surface a bit or use grey Scotchbrite if it's already flat enough. Put on 2 x medium wet coats and clear. Blend in over about 300mm where the bar joins the guards but try to stay away from the guard to bonnet join. Reclear the whole guard.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint