Steps to properly seal filler on dent

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:16 am
nitbut wrote:2) shape metal as close as to original shape with hammer and blowtorch

Not blowtorch, unless it's aluminium and then just gentle heat only. You'll need hammer and dolly for that dent.

nitbut wrote:no need to sand, most epoxy primers are not sandable

Incorrect. Most epoxies can be mixed as "sanding" or "non-sanding".

nitbut wrote:build the shape (not sure how I'll be able to rebuild the wheel arch or if there are any special techniques or tricks to perfect that shape,

A stud welder with wavy wire or the loops would be best. Pull with a wire rope ratchet is better than a slide hammer. You need to rebuild the shape of the wheel arch in the metal, not with bog. Probably also need a straight pein hammer and a shrinking hammer to deal with any stretched metal. Access to the back may be limited so you may need to be creative.

nitbut wrote:what would be a good grit range to build the shape?

Start with P40 to P60, then skim and go to P180

nitbut wrote:fill pinholes with primer, sand again to 600 grit

Don't fill pinholes with primer. Use a fine filler or a glaze and finish to P240 before priming.

nitbut wrote:6) add filler primer, sand and feather to 600 grit
7) apply 2k clear coat - sand to 2500 grit
8) polish car

Clearing over primer is a bit of a waste of time and materials. Once you've blocked out the primer (P240 would be fine) then just give it a sealing coat of epoxy which you can then sand to P400 and which will be smooth enough to put the wrap over.

You're obviously new to body work and probably don't have any of the tools you'll need for this repair including bigger stuff like compressor, DA, stud welder. By the time you buy what you'll need, plus paint, sandpaper, blocks and various other stuff like thinners You'll have spent what you could pay someone to do the PDR, or even have a panel shop beat it out and just finish in primer or epoxy. I encourage people to have a go, but in this case I think you're on the wrong track and if you do it yourself you'll end up with a sub-standard job which will be visible under the wrap.
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:27 am
Gotta agree with the guys. If you're that new to doing this, you will have an epic struggle, and probably make a mess of it. AND you won't have the right equipment to do it, as mentioned.
People seem to think this stuff is easy. I've been doing it for over 40 years, and still learn things and try to expand my techniques.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:37 am
chopolds wrote:Gotta agree with the guys. If you're that new to doing this, you will have an epic struggle, and probably make a mess of it. AND you won't have the right equipment to do it, as mentioned.
People seem to think this stuff is easy. I've been doing it for over 40 years, and still learn things and try to expand my techniques.

listen here boomer :splat: never did I think this was easy, im just trying to get as much information as I can!

Im going to do what this guy is doing with the same tools and added step of using a heat gun. I just need to figure out how Im going to bend back the very edge of the wheel arch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN23T3rnofI

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:42 am
and when im done imma post my result here

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:36 am
Well, I have to say that I respect someone who takes a challenge.

One thing, before you start. There is a panel that stands perpendicular to the quarter on the inside, behind that dent of yours. Not sure what the car is and how that panel joins on - at the lip of the wheel arch I'd suspect, but it's going to make access much more difficult than that guy in the video had. You'll probably have to do most of the work from the outside unless you remove interior trims. That's why we've been talking about pulling equipment, rather than pushing. Also probably why the PDR guys are quoting high.

If I were you I'd have a good look at access and plan carefully how you think you'll go about the job. If you still decide to go ahead post up pictures of your progress and seek advice on any problems that you come across.
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:47 am
Yes, the inside thing, I ran into one of the local PDR guys and showed him this pic. And he agreed with Chris that they would be accessing the inside trying to remove as much stuff as possible to get to this before even starting on the outside....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:22 pm
a stud gun would be your friend here https://www.harborfreight.com/stud-weld ... 61433.html are you going to use the heat gun to remove the wrap material?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
Previous

Return to Body and Paint