can i put a drop of clear in divot?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:10 am
Painted this a few weeks ago, shopline BC/CC, cut and buffed. Looking pretty good except I have three divots or craters, about 1/8" in diameter, in the clear on the hood and trunk. I think they are too deep to sand the whole area down flat with them. If i sand in them a bit can i mix up and drop some clear in them then cut down once dry?

First photo is a divot, second two photos are some sort of deep scratch on the hood that I've sanded but I'm afraid to sand more. Same question, could I fill with some clear?
Attachments
divot.JPG
scratch1.JPG
scratch 2.JPG

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:10 pm
it should work, I've done this before. when you put the clear down try and keep the film thickness as low as posible even if you have to go over it agian at some point. a drop like with a toothpick is too much, it will take forever to harden up. what I've done is apply the drop then squeegee it off use a fairly rigid squeegee. you may need to do a second coat to get build up, letting the first coat dry several hours or a day. you'll want to let it dry at least a couple days, depending on thickness before you touch it with the buffer. if you try and buff to soon it will suck the soft clear right out of the divot.

I looked at your pics agian. the first one should be ok just try and fill it. the second and third look like water spots where there was a drop of water and the air from the gun spread it out. the white in the divots has to go. if you put a drop of clear over its most likely still going to be white. if its sanding residue or something like that you can posibly clean it with a tooth brush and some soap and water if its primer showing, thats another paragraph.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:12 am
I use different size paper punches to make a round hole in a piece of tape
to mask the spot. That way you can brush several coats on just the spot.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:58 pm
JCCLARK wrote:I use different size paper punches to make a round hole in a piece of tape
BRILLIANT! and i thought i was TOO OLD to learn anything. :rotfl:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:11 am
badsix wrote:
JCCLARK wrote:I use different size paper punches to make a round hole in a piece of tape
BRILLIANT! and i thought i was TOO OLD to learn anything. :rotfl:
Jay D.

It also works real good for filling pin holes in body filler
with spot putty.
JC.

(It's not custom painting-it's custom sanding)

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:34 pm
:bighug:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:30 pm

You can also use this trick to make seams look like they've been spot welded when you've welded up the holes and ground them flat. For touch up work, though, the holes are a bit too big and you don't want paint on the top of the surface surrounding the imperfection.

If I have a few to do then I use a Paasche flow pencil which lets me put in spots down to 1/64". You can also do with a brush - needs square cut end and just wipe off most on the bristles and touch in with the corner.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint