Evercoat Super Build 4:1 Polyester Primer

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:27 pm
I have been reading here for some time and looks like standard practice on bare metal is 2 coats of epoxy primer followed by 2 coats of polyester primer. After reading the tech sheet on Evercoat Super Build 4:1 Polyester Primer it states DTM and withstands salt spray test. Does this mean I can use one product before sealing and painting?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:08 pm
i have question WHY do you need to use a poly primer?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:35 am
No it is not standard procedure. Actually, there is no standard procedure. Different painters use different products and techniques, all with success. But that doesn't mean you can use anything and have it work.
My technique is to use a high build epoxy all the way through the build, or use a high build DTM, like the one Tamco sells. It suits me, as I do a lot of custom bodywork, as well as rust repair on old cars. This means bodywork over large areas, and that means lots of block sanding before paint.
But if I was painting a late model car, in great shape, I probably would not use a high build, if I knew it was straight. Or new body panels on a car.
I only use a poly primer-filler on fiberglass components, if I don't want to get out the gelcoat. Hard to sand, hard to spray. Also cures pretty hard, might be too brittle for metal panels that flex a bit.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:09 am
I bought a gallon of the evercoat superbuild 4:1 and decided not to use it after reading here it cures hard/hard to sand and could get brittle. used an easy sanding high build primer instead. watched videos of folks using it and cutting it initially with 80 grit. sounded like going backward from where I was already at.

I'm a rookie and trying to avoid taking any extra chances. I watched one video that stated the superbuild cures so hard if its a thin panel it will warp the panel when cured. I was scared my new hood could possibly do that, don't know and didnt want to risk that for sure.
Eric

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:26 pm
Generally, polyester primer (spray on body filler) is used when there is a lot of damaged areas on a panel.

On this '65 Buick, the quarter panels were already hacked up before I got it. They didn't make reproduction quarters for this car, so I ended up buying a used one for the left side and repaired the right side.

After mounting the left quarter I applied two coats of epoxy primer, then lightly block sand it to see what I had.
LH Quarter Filler Work Needed 1.JPG

This would have required extensive filler work across the entire panel and the other side was just as bad, so I opted to use Evercoat 2G Featherfill Polyester primer on the hole car.
LH Quarter - Poly Primer.JPG

You can see what a difference it made. This was guide coated and block sanded, 2 coats of regular 2k build primer applied, more guide coat and sanding.
RH Quarter Color and Clear.JPG

Trunk Deck Color and Clear.JPG
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:01 pm
Buckwheat wrote:I bought a gallon of the evercoat superbuild 4:1 and decided not to use it after reading here it cures hard/hard to sand and could get brittle. used an easy sanding high build primer instead. watched videos of folks using it and cutting it initially with 80 grit. sounded like going backward from where I was already at.

I'm a rookie and trying to avoid taking any extra chances...

As a fellow weekender hack rookie here, I had purchased some of that Evercoat Superbuild 4:1 and used it once a few months back. I'm not sure what it's intended use is for, but sanding rocks from my yard would be easier.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:34 pm
As a fellow weekender hack rookie here, I had purchased some of that Evercoat Superbuild 4:1 and used it once a few months back. I'm not sure what it's intended use is for, but sanding rocks from my yard would be easier.[/quote]

I am really really glad I did not go ahead and use it after reviewing comments like this one. now, I'm sure it can be used with success and the right circumstances, plus my panels were all new or straight so with the help I read on this sight I made the decision not to use it. whew!

also, I popped the lid on the gallon and holy mackeral the stuff is thick. you have to use an electric drill and one of those plaster mixers to get it mixed. also you use a 2.0 gun and the stuff cures quick so you best get that gun cleaned quickly. within 30min I read.

anyway, thoughts from a rookie but tryin hard to do right!

I wish 68 coronet R/T lived close I'd pay him his asking fee to spray my car. sheesh all his pictures of cars look great. makes me nervous the closer I get to paint day. hopefully in april.
Eric

Return to Body and Paint