Are these common fisheyes?? Take a look please..

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:00 pm
I've gotten these "fish eyes" in my clear coat for several years now. Never in the basecoat, only the clear. I don't have a booth but my shop is clean, no oil, wax, silicone, etc laying around. Hoses are new, plenty of filters, traps and drier, including dessicant system. I only get about one for every 2 square foot of body panel, they are not everywhere like common fish eyes I've seen. I want to know what you all think this is and if it's even a "fish eye" since the center has material and ALL are shaped the same, like a horse shoe. The center does not open up to the base coat as I think a fish eye would. The pics are after I lightly sanded with 800 grit to show clarity of the "fish eye". These are never too deep and I can cut and buff and totally remove them but I would like to not have this problem any longer. Any ideas? Anybody seen this shape before? I've had fish eyes in the past in other shops that totally opened up to expose the under layer, thanks all.
Attachments
fisheye 3.jpg
fisheye 2.jpg
fisheye 1.jpg

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:06 pm
dirt nibs that the clear kinda ran around,
Experienced Trained Certified

SATA Spray Equipment Germany
Axalta ChromaBase Elite Standox Imron 5000 6000
PPG Delfeet Deltron Global Matthews
Sherwin Williams Ultra 7000 Genesis
Valspar DeBeer LIC
Akzo Nobel Sikkens Lesonal

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:42 pm
PainterDave wrote:dirt nibs that the clear kinda ran around,

Thanks Dave, I didn't think they were traditional fish eyes. I've got these for years no matter what I do. And they all look the same. Any idea what type of stuff is causing this? They do water sand out fairly easy. Even with only two coats of clear. I use filters on my fans no matter what I do these always come back to haunt me. They are always shaped like a horse shoe.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:36 pm

Agree, exacerbated by application of clear maybe a little too heavy so they're like little runs.
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:39 am
NFT5 wrote:

Agree, exacerbated by application of clear maybe a little too heavy so they're like little runs.

Ok, thanks. I will take some pics of a few before they are sanded. I should have done that before.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:40 am
Toadman wrote:
NFT5 wrote:

Ok, thanks. I will take some pics of a few before they are sanded. I should have done that before.

The part that looks like a horse shoe is low, more pics coming later today.

Return to Body and Paint