What has caused this effect? [IMG]

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:34 pm
I am painting a silver metallic bumper, and the finish is very good at certain points and off at others.

At this part of the bumper there are weird black spots. What is this and how can I resolve?
Is this 'Cissing' as shown here? https://uk.ppgrefinish.com/en/paint-defects/cissing/

Another issue is during polishing this region has become fuzzy. Did I polish through the clear coat and ruin the metallic paint?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:02 pm
No, it's not cissing. The problem here is that the surface was not smooth before painting or you have put it on too thick, creating excessive peel and maybe runs, then sanded but only taken the tops off. It may be possible to keep sanding until flat and then polish, but I doubt it.

In your second picture you've buffed through the clear. Only fix is to respray.

If you redo this bar you need to sand the surface perfectly flat before you spray your base coat which should be applied in light, even coats so it is also flat before you spray clear which should then go on in only medium wet coats.
Chris

Settled In

United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:10 pm
NFT5 wrote:No, it's not cissing. The problem here is that the surface was not smooth before painting or you have put it on too thick, creating excessive peel and maybe runs, then sanded but only taken the tops off. It may be possible to keep sanding until flat and then polish, but I doubt it.

In your second picture you've buffed through the clear. Only fix is to respray.

If you redo this bar you need to sand the surface perfectly flat before you spray your base coat which should be applied in light, even coats so it is also flat before you spray clear which should then go on in only medium wet coats.

Great advice. Will proceed with it.

Really helps, thanks alot!

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:01 pm
First pic looks the same as when I spray 1 k clear from a rattle can.

Return to Body and Paint