Can.t find a pearl clearcost

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:54 pm
Getting ready to refinish the front bumper cover on the wifeys's 2010 Miata. The color is Copper Red Mica (code 32V) which is a 3 stage process. I have found BC.CC in pints but I cannot locate any pearl midcoat other that the Duplicolor stuff in rattle cans. Anybody have any suggestions?

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:45 pm
[quote="Pappydan"]Getting ready to refinish the front bumper cover on the wifeys's 2010 Miata. The color is Copper Red Mica (code 32V) which is a 3 stage process. I have found BC.CC in pints but I cannot locate any pearl midcoat other that the Duplicolor stuff in rattle cans. IMO, rattle can will never give you the finish yo are looking for. My supplier tried to save me some $$ by doing a mix for a spray out for a 46V Soul red with a single base and a clear. Prepped it and shot a test panel......totally way off from the 3 stage of the real 46V. I can only suggest that you go with the tri coat if you want that color. Again, I am not the Pro's on this site but tri coats are designed for a reason, IMO.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:47 pm
32V is not a 3 layer pearl. Just a standard basecoat and clearcoat with the mica/metallic already mixed in to the colour.

Screenshot_20230323_114529.jpg
Chris

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:56 pm
NFT5 wrote:32V is not a 3 layer pearl. Just a standard basecoat and clearcoat with the mica/metallic already mixed in to the colour.

Screenshot_20230323_114529.jpg
I've been educated....my mistake :)

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:14 am
[quote="NFT5"]32V is not a 3 layer pearl. Just a standard basecoat and clearcoat with the mica/metallic already mixed in to the colour.

Thanks much....That explains why I cannot find what I was looking for. I got my information from one of our local body shops. apparently they were mistaken

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 8:42 am
I was a painter in a Mazda dealership for years.
the color your referring to is technically a bace clear color.
at the factory the cars are painted with BASF RM and for that color because the red base coat is transparent like reds tend to be and a poor hiding color a recommended ground coat is used. the ground coat is a very light gray ( almost white ) base coat. being another base coat that is recommended it could kind of be called a tri coat paint.
from the factory the color has a light gray sealer coat than the base coat than the clear coat.
in a body shop unless your using a tintable sealer to substitute the same light gray almost white that the factory uses you would use the ground coat.

so the answer to your question is no it's not a tri coat but yes it is.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:46 am
Hmm:
2010 Mazda 32V shows as a 3 stage here:
http://colorlv.automotiveartpaints.com/#/recipe

Undercoat is U109 and comes in various shades. From what was said, it will most likely be U1095 which looks to be an off white.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:13 am
Mazda's 32V was a popular color.
the NC MX5's sold well in that color code.
it was kind of split for me spraying that color. I had a fantastic matching sealer so I would either just spray the sealer than the red base or with some I would spray the base ground coat gray/white color then the red base.
just depended on the panel/s I was painting. a new penal that all was needed is to sand it seal it and paint it I would use the sealer.
with the RM the standard mix was a really good match that in many cases you could panel paint.

Return to Body and Paint