Tacking

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:15 pm
I hate to ask this question as it seems so basic, but I'm really new at this and I can't seem to find a positive yes or no to this question.

I have just painted my frame with 2k epoxy primer. I thought I should tack it before putting a basecoat on to clean up any overspray dust. I did this, but the surface felt like it had wax residue on it. Error on the side of caution, I degreased it one more time before spraying on KBS Blacktop chasis paint.

Question is: should I need to do a final wipe down after tacking? It would seem to defeat the purpose. If I did not do another degrease after the tack would I have adhesion issues?

I have one more coat to put on, so I want to get the last one right. I have a lot of dust nibs, so I might to a 1000 grit sand, degrease, tack then paint. It's a frame so it doesn't need to be perfect, but I consider this a stepping stone to the body!

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:19 am
When tacking, especially with a tack cloth that contains wax, you don't press hard. Open the cloth up fully and then scrunch up loosely and wipe the surface very gently, using almost no pressure at all.

Prepsol after primer is ok but never after base coat unless you're going to re-apply the base.

If you have a lot of dust nibs that are actually in the paint then sanding with P1000-P1500 sounds like a good idea. But, before you do that and respray only to get more dust in your final coat(s) you should address the cause of the dust. Most of it comes from you, so wearing a paint suit, or at least clothes that aren't fluffy, will make the biggest difference, but cleaning up the surrounding area, wetting the floor and tacking carefully prior will all contribute.

Sand, blow off dust, wash, Prepsol, water based (alcohol mix) clean, tack, blow off and then paint is the correct order, ensuring that you allow time to dry after Prepsol and dry thoroughly / blow off any water after the water/alcohol clean.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:36 pm
Thanks for the response!

I will be the first to admit that the area I'm painting in is not ideal in a lot of ways. I was more concerned with possible contamination from the beeswax on the surface and what that would do to any paint laid over it. Which, is why I decided on a cautionary post wipe down after the tacking.

I haven't wet the floors down yet, so I should try that on my second coat and see if I can end up with a cleaner surface. Like said, it is a frame, so it becomes a good test subject.

I'll lighten up on my tacking and not treat it like a degreaser wipe down!

Return to Body and Paint