Solvent pop or contamination

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:08 pm
Did you wipe it down with anything prior to spraying your base coat and what was it???
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:36 pm
Wiped down with solvent born wax and grease remover and waterborne wax and grease remover, very thoroughly. Using new blue Scott towels , I have used for the last 30 years.
If the panel wasn’t clean wouldn’t there been a reaction with the basecoat?
Bitterness of a poor quality job long remains after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten

Settled In
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:21 pm
I wiped the basecoat down with a tack rag that was new, retrieved it , was laying on the top of my trashcan. Well I use that tack rag and thoroughly wiped 2 little metal index cards ,sprayed two coats of clear, no contamination.
I am at a loss .
Bitterness of a poor quality job long remains after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:28 am
Polish Painter wrote:.
At this point I tried sanding with the 600 wet then 400 wet actually dropped down to 240 wet and did not break through the clear i .

if thats the case you had way too much clear on there. how many coats of clear?

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:58 am
4 coats Universal clear , last 3 coats reduced 5% .
I broke through on a few edges , I plan on slowly sanding each panel to get contamination out . It will probably be 10-14 days before spraying again.
Would you lightly base those areas until coverage and then apply 1 more coat of base over the entire car ?? That would probably defeat the purpose of flow coating ( which I didn’t intend to do in the first place) .
Or just apply 2-3 coats clear , after achieving coverage on the broke through areas?

I plan on sealing, base and clear Spoiler first which is off the vehicle. To see if I am still having a problem.
A hood I painted a few years ago. I have done some quality work in the past, LOL
Attachments
46029214-3A3B-41C7-959C-88EADA69548D.jpeg
Previous

Return to Body and Paint