Will this dust filter help or give me more trouble?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:07 pm
Has anybody used one of these dust filters that hang from chains with any success? For painting in an open shop to control dust? I can't post a pic for some reason but they are electric and take filters similar to a house ac unit but smaller. I'm thinking they may stir up more than they filter. Maybe run it for a couple of hours prior to paint then turn off?

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:20 pm
Toadman wrote:Has anybody used one of these dust filters that hang from chains with any success? For painting in an open shop to control dust?... Maybe run it for a couple of hours prior to paint then turn off?

I call my shop the Pig Barn because it is an old pig barn that has a crappy concrete rat slab. What I learned to do was blow off and vacuum the day before which lets dust settle. Then if I am shooting BC or Clear I also wet the floors. 50/50 if I am shooting High Build whether or not I wet the floors as I get lazy.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:53 pm
my procedure is that i usually do my final sanding wet by hand. then i wash the job with soap and water then rinse all over. i blast all the cracks and openings i do the engine compartment under the wheel openings under the car itself, spray everywhere. wile the car is drying some i close the doors turn the fan on and blow out the booth then i use an air blower and blow all the cracks and openings that might trap water. put the car in the booth and mask. on paint day i wet the floor and i usually wipe down with W&G remover and spray. sometimes i'll hose the complete booth, but always the floor. when your shooting the lower rocker and wheel wells your going to stir any dust or what ever off the floor and from under the car.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:00 pm
I had one hanging above my table saw for dust control.Returned it after a day and got a dust collector that hooked right onto the saw.The hanging model just seemed to blow dust around.The dust collector works awesome for sanding bondo,4" hose will suck a tape measure up if it gets too close lol.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:34 pm
myke wrote:I had one hanging above my table saw for dust control.Returned it after a day and got a dust collector that hooked right onto the saw.The hanging model just seemed to blow dust around.The dust collector works awesome for sanding bondo,4" hose will suck a tape measure up if it gets too close lol.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess there's no prefect solution to dust painting redneck style.
I have fan filter and wet the floor etc but was wondering about the hanging models that hand from the ceiling. I'll pass on that and just let it settle down for a night. I appreciate all the replies although I didn't address them individually.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:24 am
i think youre referring to one of these. ive had one in my wood shop/ body shop/ garage and its pretty good at controlling dust in the air. however, if im reading correctly you want to control dust when youre painting. you can run it for a couple of hours prior but that wont stop the dust you can kick up while painting.
best redneck solution:
day before painting,-open doors. get a LOT of cfms going out( i had 4 furnace blowers bolted along a panel i set along the main garage door then lowered the door down to it) and a filter on an intake like a window and fire up a leaf blower. blast every nook and cranny.dont forget to blast the walls and ceiling. do it once every 30 minutes or so.
do the same to the vehicle- in the driveway. blast every nook and cranny . use compressed air, too.
Attachments
jet-air-filtration-system-hanging-from-shop.jpg

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:18 am
tomsteve wrote:i think youre referring to one of these. ive had one in my wood shop/ body shop/ garage and its pretty good at controlling dust in the air. however, if im reading correctly you want to control dust when youre painting. you can run it for a couple of hours prior but that wont stop the dust you can kick up while painting.
best redneck solution:
day before painting,-open doors. get a LOT of cfms going out( i had 4 furnace blowers bolted along a panel i set along the main garage door then lowered the door down to it) and a filter on an intake like a window and fire up a leaf blower. blast every nook and cranny.dont forget to blast the walls and ceiling. do it once every 30 minutes or so.
do the same to the vehicle- in the driveway. blast every nook and cranny . use compressed air, too.

That's exactly the type of machine I'm referring to. I don't want to run it while painting but for a while (hours) before painting. I figure what ever volume it's sucking in it's also blowing out the other end so if I let it run long enough I hope for it circulate loose stuff into the filters. I have a 42" drum type fan in the wall with a good 1" thick paint filter with sticky on one side from McMaster Carr. It blows the air into the shop. Then on the opposite side of the shop I have (4), 14" turbines on the roof, the kind you see on top of houses. The air is forced out of those and if the wind is blowing it helps suck the fumes out even better. I don't know if this is ideal but me and some buddies built it 22 years ago. I don't have an extreme problem with debris but would like less. I also have a 4ft by 2ft industrial bug zapper that uses 2, 4ft black bulbs. I still can't paint at night though.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:10 pm
tomsteve wrote:i think youre referring to one of these. ive had one in my wood shop/ body shop/ garage and its pretty good at controlling dust in the air. however, if im reading correctly you want to control dust when youre painting. you can run it for a couple of hours prior but that wont stop the dust you can kick up while painting.
best redneck solution:

What CFM unit is that?

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:43 pm
Toadman wrote:
What CFM unit is that?

thats a stock photo i pulled off of the www but the same one i have. 1044 cfm

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:30 pm
tomsteve wrote:
Toadman wrote:
What CFM unit is that?