Fast vs slow .... base coat gun speed.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:05 pm
I watch videos of guys moving back and forth pretty quickly.Going over each spot several times. Metallic paint mostly.
I assume not much paint is coming out. This is for repair areas like a door and fender not a complete respray.
Seams like when they say a med to wet coat,its pretty wet.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:25 pm
Much depends on the gun and how it's set up and how far away from the panel it is.

Normally I hold the gun out about 150mm and take about 3 seconds per horizontal pass on a typical door. That's a bit slower than some but I don't have fluid fully open, usually, and run with about 2 bar. Devilbiss guns are usually a bit slower than Iwata while SATA are the fastest, for the same, nominal, sized fluid tip.

Practice on some paper first. You want to get each coat on evenly, but not over wet, achieving coverage in 2 coats with a quality base coat, 2.5 - 3 coats with and economy base coat. Overlap around 50%.

Drop coats usually go on a bit quicker, with the gun further back at around 200mm.
Chris

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:52 pm
NFT5 wrote:Much depends on the gun and how it's set up and how far away from the panel it is.

Normally I hold the gun out about 150mm and take about 3 seconds per horizontal pass on a typical door. That's a bit slower than some but I don't have fluid fully open, usually, and run with about 2 bar. Devilbiss guns are usually a bit slower than Iwata while SATA are the fastest, for the same, nominal, sized fluid tip.

Practice on some paper first. You want to get each coat on evenly, but not over wet, achieving coverage in 2 coats with a quality base coat, 2.5 - 3 coats with and economy base coat. Overlap around 50%.

Drop coats usually go on a bit quicker, with the gun further back at around 200mm.

3 second per door is very slow for what im seeing.Now remember im looking at repair videos not whole car.Blending videos mostly.

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:01 am
So this would be more of a normal speed,water base I know but its gun speed Im looking at.
https://youtu.be/05Un0pXQPek[youtube][/youtube]
Now this ones fast,skip to 9:00 and 11;40
https://youtu.be/VeOcrw4NyqM[youtube][/youtube]

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:11 am
The first one's an instructional video on 'how to do it'. The second is some bloke trying to make it look easy so he can get more viewers who can marvel at his abilities. Yes, I've seen quite a few of his videos and he almost never actually tells you how to do it, extending a single tip into 10 minutes of space for advertisers.

If you want a good paint job, do it like in the first one. If you want to impress your girlfriend/wife/grandson then wave it around like a dysfunctional chimpanzee.
Chris

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:56 am
NFT5 wrote:The first one's an instructional video on 'how to do it'. The second is some bloke trying to make it look easy so he can get more viewers who can marvel at his abilities. Yes, I've seen quite a few of his videos and he almost never actually tells you how to do it, extending a single tip into 10 minutes of space for advertisers.

If you want a good paint job, do it like in the first one. If you want to impress your girlfriend/wife/grandson then wave it around like a dysfunctional chimpanzee.

Now thats funny. :rotfl:

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:19 am
:goodpost:
NFT5 wrote:The first one's an instructional video on 'how to do it'. The second is some bloke trying to make it look easy so he can get more viewers who can marvel at his abilities. Yes, I've seen quite a few of his videos and he almost never actually tells you how to do it, extending a single tip into 10 minutes of space for advertisers.

:goodpost: :rotfl: thats so true
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:09 pm
So basically slow with a consistent overlap is better than flaying several overlapping coats.
I know this all depends on gun set up but watching different videos everyone has there own speed I guess.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:00 pm
myke wrote:So basically slow with a consistent overlap is better than flaying several overlapping coats.
I know this all depends on gun set up but watching different videos everyone has there own speed I guess.

From my weekender part time rookie hack perspective.
What I've learned is that I had to really concentrate on consistency, gun speed, distance to panel, mental focus, gun settings, well everything.

I still take a lot of notes on everything, mainly so when I screw up, I can come hear and tell the experts "This is what I did..." and they can give suggestions of what I did incorrectly.

A while ago I was at a custom paint weekend instruction deal and this "kid" picked up one of the Iwatas that we were using, shoved it super close to the panel and went screaming fast . I was shocked and was wondering WTH? Turns out this "kid" sprays full time and his technique was perfect - for him, not me! Anyways, I've been able to produce some pretty decent results but I bet my gun speeds are slower than most.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:41 pm
OldFatBald wrote:
myke wrote:So basically slow with a consistent overlap is better than flaying several overlapping coats.

From my weekender part time rookie hack perspective.
What I've learned is that I had to really concentrate on consistency, gun speed, distance to panel, mental focus, gun settings, well everything.

I still take a lot of notes on everything, mainly so when I screw up, I can come hear and tell the experts "This is what I did..." and they can give suggestions of what I did incorrectly.

A while ago I was at a custom paint weekend instruction deal and this "kid" picked up one of the Iwatas that we were using, shoved it super close to the panel and went screaming fast . I was shocked and was wondering WTH? Turns out this "kid" sprays full time and his technique was perfect - for him, not me! Anyways, I've been able to produce some pretty decent results but I bet my gun speeds are slower than most.

It is hard to get as close as most do.You just have to trust it I guess.I assume most newbs like me hold it too far away their first trys.

Return to Body and Paint