Painting Trooper with Behr Black enamel spray cans

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:21 pm
This is a very deep rich black black, not greyish black like Rustoleum black which I put on the Trooper a few years back and did not like the non black color.
I did the back door and it turned out good, painted it flat on the deck, so got no runs.

Doing the side, and I got some runs on the first coat. Thing is they wet sand out by hand easily and perfectly with 800 grit the next day. Second coat got some runs too.
And also on the front fender, got some paint wrinkling in spots.
I also found I can push the drips out a lot after an hour after painting using fingers, likely a good idea to help them dry for wet sanding flat.

Plan is to wet sand and then polish. The paint is at H Depot and like $7 a can.
This is not supposed to become a perfect paint finish, just look good enough.
Original Isuzu black 1996 is a solid black color, dont think there ever was factory clear coat on it as it never peeled. The roof paint is still OEM perfect. Reason it needed the sides and hood repainted is PO got in lots of wrecks, dents from accidents. Every single door and the hood was dented in from being hit. Years ago I did tons of body work, even had dents in the rear quarter panels. Young daughter drove it for years, then her boyfriend rear ended a car on a trip they were on, and had to have it towed back home. I got rear ended in January and got paid $2000 for the damages by Geico. So every body panel on this has been hit over the years. But nothing major enough to total it out yet. https://photos.app.goo.gl/JjV9XTN1iwW6XVBJ7

Behr spray paint is a modified alkyld enamel. I suppose the front fender got some wrinkles due to the prior coats not fully dry? The wrinkles also sand out well.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:13 pm
Here is the replacement back door I painted with Behr in late February this year.
Not polished, sanded or anything. I laid it on thick as it was laid flat on the deck so got no runs. It was originally white. I just scuffed the white paint and painted the Behr on top.
It has very nice shine, slightly orange peely.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:26 pm
You sound like you have some skills and know how. why don't you drop the cans and get a spray gun setup and get some real experiance. in a few years you could be making some real money. i don't know maybe you have a hi-dollar job now.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:51 pm
Sanded some of the fender with 1000 grit, then compounded, just that made it look great. The compounding took out all the 1000 grit scratching.
I just wanted to see how it would polish up without a full sand.

I tried just compounding the door, but it needs sanding to get rid of orange peel look.
This is maybe a softer paint? Modified Alkyld Enamel Behr spray paint?
I think oil based paints harden with age.
I had just painted this couple days ago.
This is 2 coats of paint.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:57 pm
Of course I probably should have done this to it.

An example of "pointless dent repair"...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEDJFjAD6kY

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:42 pm
Polished up the left rear quarter panel I had painted black.
About 3 coats Behr paint. All coats painted within an hour time window, got no runs.

Wet sanded using 1000, 1500, 2000, then the polish, no compounding.
Turned out nice and shiny
Used Meguires Ultimate polish and a 7 inch rotary buffer, but I ordered something else I think is cheaper and it has 32 ozs.

What do you think of this polish, watched a vid and guy said it stays wetter longer than 3M and Meguires, but he also said Meguires is good too. This other polish has no fillers.
I am out of polish, had to make a decision, so I got it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TE ... UTF8&psc=1

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:39 pm
https://www.malcoautomotive.com/exterio ... nt=buffing

Here is the description of this polish. Polish, they want a lot of money for not a lot of polish and I used it up fast that first bottle. This one seems like more for the money.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 10:53 am
Painting other side doors, Here the front passenger door is sanded down to 1000 grit then polished with rotary machine, yellow foam 7" pad and Malco polish. I did first hand sand with 400 grit.
It will never be perfect, but does not have to be.
This 96 Trooper has been thru a roller derby in it's life. And I made the panels look as good as I can do.

I just painted that rear door this AM, and in a day or so I can sand and polish it too.
This Behr paint really does sand and polish well. I wonder if all alkyd enamel paints are similar. The Behr spray paints are very low cost for what you get. I also found if you get wrinkles in a spot, wait a few minutes then pile on 2 or so extra coats in that spot. then wait 30 minutes and use your finger tip to press down any wrinkles. Push hard and they sink in. Then when you wet sand with 400 grit in a day or 2, the wrinkles are gone and it is smooth and flat, wrinkle free. Then follow up with 1000 grit. I sometimes get wrinkles and honestly wonder why.
I do notice wrinkles can show up if I sanded the panel exposing multiple underlaying layers, or if the top paint is not fully cured. All your paint layers should go on with the first coat, you can paint 3 or 4 layers right together within like an hour. Otherwise it will wrinkle.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 11:16 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007K ... =UTF8&th=1
Whenever I get done with this. I ordered this to use on the black paint. It has good reputation and can last maybe a year. Plus it is cheap. I also thought about Griots 3in1, which also lots of people like.

I would really like something to keep water spots from sticking into the paint.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 12:53 pm
If you cannot see pics inline, I made a google photo album
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AejXeeUs2mmiTmve8

All the pics show up in this thread inline for me. So I don't know why that might be so.

Return to Body and Paint