Seeking Advice - Opinions on Paint Brand.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 1:23 pm
First, Thank You to everyone who contributes within the forum. I have gain a lot of knowledge and advice from here, which I am grateful for, so Thank You. The question I have is usually chalked up to professional experience. I am looking at a potential project to do with my son. We will need to repaint darn near half the car due to collision damage. We are comfortable with the prep and we have squirted a few parts prior.

The car is 9 years old and is a silver metallic. We are using BC/CC. In the past we have used SW Sunfire Pro with their Finishline CC. Do not have any real complaints, but as we have looked and done some analysis, we have seen some negative things about the product. Opinions are just that and knowledge and experience plays into it as well. From the math we have done we're guestimating it will take a quart. We don't mind paying to use a mid grade decent product and prefer to have it mixed based on using a spectrophotometer since I have been bitten on the last project trying to use my old eyes to match.

I don't have an issue with using the product again, but it's the analysis paralysis and if we're going to invest the time and money, along with learning, we're trying to get some input on the brand or other preferences that my sway us. Our knowledge and experience are not rock solid yet but shot some panels with good results. Trying to see if we should venture into another brand. Fully get it's a loaded question with a lot of "Depends" and personal preferences, but any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks for everyone's time in advance.

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 1:58 pm
Uggg..... silver, has to be silver. Regular metallics are bad enough but a 9 year old silver? You are going to have to go with a local paint jobber on your base and even if they shoot it for match it still may not be good enough...... So, how this? I'd stay away from PPG Omni for sure, their Shopline is not that much better, and get out your wallet for Deltron. So how about just staying with your Sherwin Williams auto stuff, well, at least for base. Now clear, you should at least consider Tamco. I did their Euro over my Fiero front half that got blended. That stuff is at 54% solids ready to spray, check it out here... https://tamcopaint.com/products/hc2104- ... learcoat-2 I just used their Matt which is the same product with the special flattener added.... take a look
Attachments
Week 11 g.jpg
Week 11 a.jpg
This is 3 coats of their matt clear, straight off the gun... https://tamcopaint.com/products/matte-clearcoat
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 2:05 pm
Thanks for the reply Darrel, I know, Silver Metallic!. We did do a front bumper cover for this car a while back and the match was really good. All of the projects I have worked on have been silver, so it's been tough but rewarding. Definitely looking at a jobber that can mix and will bring in a part. I learned the hard way with color chips on the last go round and had to re-shoot because it was so far out. Ended up going to the main distribution center for SW and the young lady behind the counter was very well versed in matching.
On the clear, due to my lack of experience, I was concerned on mixing brands, didn't know if I would have compatibility issues. I am following the TDS and crossing my fingers, but trying to have a bit of fun too. I just dig on the before and after.

Beautiful car and paint job you have there!

Thanks for your time and opinion!

P.S. Is that a Smythkit?! I was looking at doing one of those on the VW Jetta a few years back, looks great!

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 4:56 pm
Your rarely run into compatibility problems between bases and clears. I've shot Tamco over a few different brands now including crappy Omni and Shopline.
And yes, that is a Smyth kit. If you were looking at the Jetta back in the day you should check out the new Beetle Builds.....https://www.smythkitcars.com/new-beetle ... conversion
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 5:26 pm
Nice, I help build a factory 5 cobra with a buddy. Those things are sweet and surprised at the build quality. Might have to add one to the bucket list. Thanks again for your experience and advice, it's appreciated.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 9:07 pm
DarrelK wrote:Uggg..... silver, has to be silver. Regular metallics are bad enough but a 9 year old silver? You are going to have to go with a local paint jobber on your base and even if they shoot it for match it still may not be good enough...... So, how this? I'd stay away from PPG Omni for sure, their Shopline is not that much better, and get out your wallet for Deltron. So how about just staying with your Sherwin Williams auto stuff, well, at least for base. Now clear, you should at least consider Tamco. I did their Euro over my Fiero front half that got blended. That stuff is at 54% solids ready to spray, check it out here... https://tamcopaint.com/products/hc2104- ... learcoat-2 I just used their Matt which is the same product with the special flattener added.... take a look
BEAUTIFUL job Darrel :clap:
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 9:12 pm
Your use to the silver, but i have found it usually takes more than almost any other color. i have a friend that owns a large body shop and he uses S/W and wouldn't use anything else.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 6:12 am
Even if you get the colour spectro'd, on a silver like that you're going to have to blend adjacent panels. Edge to edge will never work.
Chris
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:16 pm
badsix wrote:Your use to the silver, but i have found it usually takes more than almost any other color. i have a friend that owns a large body shop and he uses S/W and wouldn't use anything else.
Jay D.

Good to hear, based on the feedback and prior experience, I am stick with the SW product, Thank You for the information.
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:21 pm
NFT5 wrote:Even if you get the colour spectro'd, on a silver like that you're going to have to blend adjacent panels. Edge to edge will never work.

Agree, I was lucky on the last round with a new bumper cover, slightly off, but agree it will have to be blended. Thanks for your time.
Next

Return to Body and Paint