All I have is fast hardener. Can I make it work ~80*F?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 1:36 pm
Plan to paint my truck this evening. All I have is fast hardener. I know I should be using slow hardener but I don’t have any and too broke to order some, don’t know who sells it locally. I’m using acme FH720 clear.

What would happen if I went say 8:1 with the fast hardener instead of the recommended 4:1?

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 9:20 pm
You can use the fast hardener, you just may have to move a little faster than normal if you have large areas. Just mix it 4 to 1. You never want to use too much hardener, it just makes your clear brittle.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:58 pm
a little slow reducer would help, but i think AT 80* your going to be in trouble. can you say orange peel.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 5:47 am
210p wrote:Plan to paint my truck this evening. All I have is fast hardener. I know I should be using slow hardener but I don’t have any and too broke to order some, don’t know who sells it locally. I’m using acme FH720 clear.

What would happen if I went say 8:1 with the fast hardener instead of the recommended 4:1?

err on the side of caution. wait until you can afford the slow

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:27 am
Open the building up to let any heat gain out, close it up at midnight, shoot between 2 and 5. Your trying to get the metal temp.s and air as cooled down as possible..... Remember 80 degrees is your peak number, temp.s fall a lot at night.....
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 11:37 am
tomsteve wrote:
210p wrote:Plan to paint my truck this evening. All I have is fast hardener. I know I should be using slow hardener but I don’t have any and too broke to order some, don’t know who sells it locally. I’m using acme FH720 clear.

err on the side of caution. wait until you can afford the slow
:goodpost: exacly! its most likely going to cost you more to repair a bad job. post some pictures when your done.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 4:56 pm
I didn’t get to paint it, today’s about 70-73*F. Humid, overnight low is 69. I found my primer sealer, Acme FS512 was sent to me with Acme FH613 slow gardener. However since I only have a quart of sealer, I only have an 8oz cup of FH613 slow and a whole quart of FH611 fast. I have a gallon of clear and plan to sand what’s still good but maybe dull (factory paint is 23 years old) with whatever’s leftover. Painting most of the roof, entire tailgate, half the hood, about 2/3 of the bed’s quarter panel and a 10” sormewhat circular area on the passenger door where there was a big dent when I bought the truck.

Any suggestions? Any tricks to make the FH611 slow down somewhat?

I heard it’s better to have the faster coat underneath and top it with a slower coat when it’s still tacky?

I plan to use acetone 4:1 to reduce the sealer, as a wet on wet application as per the manufacturer product data sheet. Maybe one coat fast hardener and go over with the slow? Since the slow is basically leftover?

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:52 am
210p wrote:Painting most of the roof, entire tailgate, half the hood, about 2/3 of the bed’s quarter panel and a 10” sormewhat circular area on the passenger door

Seriously?

Can't wait for the photos.
Chris

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:11 am
NFT5 wrote:
210p wrote:Painting most of the roof, entire tailgate, half the hood, about 2/3 of the bed’s quarter panel and a 10” sormewhat circular area on the passenger door

Seriously?

Can't wait for the photos.

Seriously lol.

I painted some of it when I had Covid 2 years ago but just with spray cans and I rushed the body work and used all 1k spray can products. 2 tones on the bed quarter panel. The 2 quarter panels looked fine from a distance but if inspected fairly closely they looked like crap.

My truck had a gash on the side of the bed and a dent on the driver door and on the quarter panel when I first bought it. I was working as an 18 wheeler driver and a coworker made a comment “dang you can’t drive worth s***, already hit something :whoops: I got Covid shortly after and while I was off I decided to do a quick paint job, and prefer to be known at work as the professional commercial driver who can’t paint than the one who can’t drive lol so I did some rush body work but I got a couple bubbles in it about 18 months later and had some time so I decided to do it right this time, since I have a 15 gallon 225 psi compressor now.

So far I’m having to fix my sealer as there are bugs coming from everywhere in my garage and landing in it while wet, so it’s hardening up. I kept unintentionally messing up my air with my pinky, so in addition to the bug contaminants I also have globs of paint and runs :( but I’m going to let it dry and hit it with 1000. I’d prefer 800 but harbor freight only had 600 and 1000. It’s only small spots so I’m hoping my base color coat will stick decently with clear since it’s wet on wet on wet application. Pictures will be coming once I get the sealer sanded down right. Will be sure to add pics. It’s dark toreador red with silver trim.

One question though, is it me or do little bugs like moths, spiders, gnats, etc seem to be attracted to wet paint? It’s so aggravating!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 10:55 am
NO, its not you, WELL maybe it is. your painting area lets this happen. for some reason bug like fresh paint
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Return to Body and Paint