Texture in my sealer coat

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 7:02 pm
Reduced my upol 4;1;2 as per tds,pre warmed it also to get it to 75f.
1.4 tip fluid open 1.5 turns fan 1/4 turn in from wide open.
Test panel showed lots of material coming out,easy to get a run.

So I have a little texture after one coat,figured it would happen.So ill do another coat and sand it tomorrow.
Do I have to block again? Or can i go RO sander dry with 400 then wet 600? Or can I just 600 wet?
Thanks Ill post up a pic.

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 7:04 pm
Not sure if this will show it.
Attachments
IMG_5657.jpeg

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:01 am
Next question ,do I have to let this coat cure for awhile? First time spraying it at 4-1-2 with the smaller tip.Didnt have enough for a second coat so just left it.
Can I sand and proceed with base and clear today? Or should I let it sit in the sun for awhile?
Maybe flip the truck around and work on the other side to be safe.Its been in primer for weeks.I know now to be careful not to burn through with sanding this time.
What a PIA this upol primer is,tds is not even close with its recommendations and nothing about recoat times.
Anywho, back at it again.

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 8:47 am
Found this.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13252[url][/url]

Appears I have the wrong product and no matter what I do Ill have to sand it prior to base.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:13 am
IF your tec sheet said you can use as a sealer THEN you should have been OK. i like UPOL, my boy works in a large shop and they used Upol for years,. i think i would chalk this up to user ability. heating the material up might have done more harm than good. this probably made the flash time quicker and effected the flow out of the product?
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged

Canada
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:04 pm
badsix wrote:IF your tec sheet said you can use as a sealer THEN you should have been OK. i like UPOL, my boy works in a large shop and they used Upol for years,. i think i would chalk this up to user ability. heating the material up might have done more harm than good. this probably made the flash time quicker and effected the flow out of the product?
Jay D.

Perhaps I did not thin enough,that link says high build primers pigment is just too big and fluffy to lay flat for a sealer.I can believe that.
I do know now to apply it better now though lol,just reduce it twice what the tds says ha.
Temp was brought up by sitting in a warm spot under my patio out of the sun.
Something like for every 10f increase the viscosity halves ? So thought Id try it,sure poured out nicer.

Chewing on it now with 600 wet,seams to be working.

Return to Body and Paint