SW Urethane Sealer 1K or 2K

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:30 am
Thanks for your input and advice up front!
This is a follow on to my prior thread on paint brand. I did continue with SW product, but this time I was recommended to use a sealer. Background, swapping out a damaged door with a straight bone yard door. Also using a new fender, hood and bumper cover that have the EDP except bumper cover- it's new and primered. I am going to use an adhesion promoter on the new bumper. The car is a silver metallic and we got a really good match, plan on blending if needed, but its spot on for a 12 year old garage kept car. All the new parts are black, the door is a dark blue metallic oem paint with one minor area that I repaired (4" area) at the bottom sill area. Door is stripped down to a shell.

I am using the Finish Line Urethane Sealer - Grey. The thought to get an even consistent color before we squirt the base. I can either mix this sealer as a 1K or 2K. I am not up to speed on the bonding process between the substrate and the additional top coats. I realize that 2K will be stronger and utilize more of a chemical bond? The oem paint - edp will be washed, scuffed and cleaned with alcohol and tacked. Is it better to go 2K or can I use 1K?

Thanks Everyone

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 10:36 am
If you are using 2k paint and clear, you better use 2k sealer as well.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 11:03 am
:goodpost: i'm not a fan of useing alcohol ( or other off breed products) it will probably work, BUT regular WAX&GREASE remover would be the better choice.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 2:05 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:If you are using 2k paint and clear, you better use 2k sealer as well.

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I'll run back and get some hardener so I can mix it as 2K.
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 2:07 pm
badsix wrote::goodpost: i'm not a fan of useing alcohol ( or other off breed products) it will probably work, BUT regular WAX&GREASE remover would be the better choice.
Jay D.

Yeah, I have always done that too as well as recently using the water based window cleaner too. A few guys I have seen state it works better and removes static electricity that attracts dust.

Return to Body and Paint