Help… I think I may have ruined my sealer job :(

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 6:41 pm
So I have had sealer/primer bubble up before, so I understand the danger I’m in.

Where we are at before today: steel door and fender. Chem stripped to
Bare metal and neutralized. Sealed with epoxy months ago. Scuffed and filler/bodywork conducted. Broke-through filler and sealer to base metal in some spots (pretty normal for me).

Today I prepped the panels for sealing the filler work. As I was spraying epoxy sealer, a freak thunder storm appeared above (odd for Los Angeles) and dropped maybe a dozen rain drops on my panel. I suddenly stopped, moved the panels under an awning, and blew the water droplets off. I finished sealing the panels and now I’m anxious. Do you think those few drops would have absorbed enough water to cause bubbling in the future? I’m kind-of stuck now… not sure what to do.
Attachments
DF696D92-F414-4F38-B789-A619A45767BC.jpeg

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 12:05 am
As long as you're sure that you blew ALL the water off then you should be fine. Humidity doesn't affect epoxy to any great extent.
Chris

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 1:09 am
Ah ok thank you! Yeah I sprayed all the water off and waited a bit before reapplying. I was more concerned about the filler absorbing the water droplets, but I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

Can I put the panels out in the sun with high-build primer tomorrow to help them cure? I don’t want to start blocking until it is fully cured. I have had issues in the past where low spots magically appeared

Return to Body and Paint