Fed Ex can't deliver a fender undamaged

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 7:46 pm
So I got my second shipment from carparts dot com today and it too was damaged in transit by fed ex. Thats two fenders that fed ex had damaged in a row. Carparts told me they would just give up and refund the money. I have videos from the point of opening the door to see the package on the step and the Fed EX tail lights hauling **** from the scene of the crime. Plenty of still photos which I have sent them. They know fed ex is doing it, but they just said no more with me today and told me they had to open investigation with Fed Ex. Is there something I am missing..?? FWIW, The fender I am ordering is not CAPA grade, but at the same time is made well enough and has an E-coat you cant get off with a blow torch. LOL. So I am at a loss and it would appear I am going to have to buy a CAPA fender locally and fork out a lot more. I may even recall them telling me at the local LKQ shop that the CAPA fender was 460?!?! But I think I am mistaken and it was the same as online at 250$. I am really at a loss

First fender pic.
Oh well I can seem to get photos copied over today. Thought I had done it here before.

very depressing..

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:19 am
weve been having problems with fed ex here for some time. address for the neighbor 4 door down is same numbers as mine but in different order. been delivering things to them for for months. pic they take even shows the house address and it aint mine.

did you call the fed ex facility where the delivery truck came from? their 1 800 number is useless.

they suck anyways. a friend runs tandem trailers twice a night from saginaw to toledo. the chit he tells me about is, sadly, hilarious.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:02 pm
Our church ordered over $2000 in LED light fixtures to replace our old florescent ceiling lights.
The pallet arrived and 4 of them were damaged. The company resent them and FedEx managed to break two of the lenses. We notified the company and they sent two replacement lenses and both were broken when they arrived.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:42 am
When we build our kit trucks we use the Chinese repop. Ranger tailgates. Not one has been delivered to me yet without 3 to 4 hits or crushed edges. Fed Ex delivered all of them...
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Fully Engaged

New Zealand
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 11:56 pm
They should be able to manage THAT. Useless pricks.

I got a fender delivered from Canada (Restoration Design) to Wellington New Zealand and it arrived in perfect condition. That was with DHL.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:21 pm
I'm so furious right now I am almost just catatonic. So I spent all this time and took my time all to paint this hood I got which costs $500bux delivered and the thing don't fit right. It just sits too high on the mounts and there is not way to adjust or settle it in. I have tried tweaking the hood brackets and to the point that I have caused collateral damage just handling the hood. I've probably damaged my hood brackets in fact. WASTED $150bux on paint. So mad right now I could spit. It was REPLACEXL brand. Carparts dot com says they are sending someone back out to pick it up which it stupid in the first place and that they well refund my money including shipping. They did on the two bogus fenders they sent so I have high hopes. NO matter I am going to fraud them with visa if they dont. Come get this garbage yes... How do body shops even work with this..??

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:36 am
When I buy new parts I buy according to the car and the customer. If it has to be 100% right then genuine is the only way to go and the right customers will happily pay for the quality.

If price is an issue then I'll buy non-genuine "certified" parts. Most of the time they're pretty close to the real deal, but sometimes they might need a little coaxing to fit. I usually allow some time for this extra work. If genuine new parts are not available then second hand genuine is the next best thing. Again, allowing for the time spent in R&R and repainting.

But.....

Always, always ALWAYS dry fit before you paint.
Chris

Board Moderator
USA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:05 am
Seriously, even if you take something apart you will ALWAYS need to check fitment before you assume it's going back the way it was. Reproduction parts are about the worst I've seen lately. When I get a part I assume it does NOT fit until proven otherwise.
Metal, wood, fiberglass, we work it all... www.furniturephysicians.com We can restore the irreplaceable!

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:01 am
NFT5 wrote:When I buy new parts I buy according to the car and the customer. If it has to be 100% right then genuine is the only way to go and the right customers will happily pay for the quality.

If price is an issue then I'll buy non-genuine "certified" parts. Most of the time they're pretty close to the real deal, but sometimes they might need a little coaxing to fit. I usually allow some time for this extra work. If genuine new parts are not available then second hand genuine is the next best thing. Again, allowing for the time spent in R&R and repainting.

But.....

Always, always ALWAYS dry fit before you paint.
:goodpost: ALLWAYS test fit !!!!!!!!!
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:42 am
DarrelK wrote:Seriously, even if you take something apart you will ALWAYS need to check fitment before you assume it's going back the way it was. Reproduction parts are about the worst I've seen lately. When I get a part I assume it does NOT fit until proven otherwise.

I had a feeling. This hood was not "CAPA Certified" which probably would have made a difference. I had seen a guy in a Youtube vid changing out the front end of a Chevy Truck series and noted that his hood looked like it just wasn't going to fit and he mentioned
"Needing to adjust it a bit". I was shocked when he got done cause it worked for him so I still had hope. But mine was just not going to go and sadly it's only off by 5-7mm where it is. The biggest problem is that it rides high up over the hinge mounts and there is simply no way to adjust that out. THE BIGGER PROBLEM REGARDLESS IS THE METAL IS GARBAGE. And I've realized it's more than that it's THIN steel. Its that the alloy is not right. The steel is just not hard enough. It]s probably made somewhere that they don't have any good natural supply of iron ore. I recall this was the problem with Japanese hand tools in the 80's. They just wind up with too much manganese or something brittle but not hard enough. I'm no metallurgist, but they also just haven't created the alloy properly when you run into these hardness and durability issues. Still these parts ARE TOO THIN currently are NOT acceptable in this market - it's almost as thin as HVAC metal. Hell the fenders they send were the same make as the one I ordered in 2018 and just clearly a thinner metal. (I'm not ruling out that the metal is fine but simply too thin and because they are just ordering the thickest metal that they can get in a ROLL STOCK to work with for cost of business purposes as I am guessing they are hand making them for the most part and probably some talented guys but just not good enough...). I will say everything I had received in the aftermarket has had a EXCELLENT E-COAT on it. BUT, this is not just FedEx's issue and I am certain that some of these parts are just banged before sellers even pack them for shipping in some kind of touche` battle between FedEx and these suppliers to get one over on the other one.. Probably started eons ago when Fed Ex refused to accept responsibility on a deal and the seller was like OK buddy sure and we'll get it back one way or the other, and the rest is history there.

ON THE BRIGHT SIDE. I stumbled onto a silver birch (my color) "auto-shop grade" hood at a major salvage yard yesterday for 160bux. My color :rockon: , only one little ding that I hammered back down in about a minute, and it even still has the insulation sheet installed underneath it. Drove down there, walked it out of the store, and put it on in the parking lot and BAM perfect fit. Also, I got home and looked at the bank acct. and carparts dot com had refunded the whole cost shipping and all. SO all is fairly right with my world again for the moment. I'll only loose the paint cost and time for the wasted effort. But clearly they knew it would not fit because they didn't hesitate to give me the refund and it only took 3 days. Also at the same time getting the email "they don't need to pick up the faulty hood" after all (which I knew they were **** when the said they were coming to get it)... LOL I was like right you are going to pay to ship this back - go for it. They should hire reps to go around and inspect their stuff but in these cases, but I think they know they are having issues with this. For all I know the manufacturer gave them a free lot of suspected defects to test.. ANYWAYS, SO I bought 700bux worth ONLINE of hood and two fender attempts delivered. And now I have all that money back in my acct and two **** banged up fenders and crappy hood in my driveway.. And all I had to do in the first place was wait to get lucky. :goodjob: It was a good day..
Next

Return to Body and Paint