First Time With Waterborne Base

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 2:02 pm
Hi Guys,

Using a Lesonal WB Base Coat tomorrow for the first time. Color is a Harley Davidson code- RED HOT SUNGLO, a deep reddish/orange with a lot of metallic. It is a complete respray on 1 of the hard bags.

I have a question about the mix, the TDS calls for: "As a guide, reduce solid colors 5-20%, pearl colors 10-20% and metallic colors 20-40%" I suppose this shows my ignorance but, how do I determine whether to go with the lower end at 20% or go higher up to 40%? Is it a personal thing? Obviously, the consistency will change with the higher amount of reducer ( I have the required reducer) but will the color shade remain the same? I'm thinking that a thinner mixture, possibly a smoother finish but will take more material to get the coverage. Naturally, I will do a spray out panel first. Sorry if this sounds stupid but this is my first time with waterborne--I'm used to a 1:1 mix with the solvents. Any advice is appreciated.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:10 am
Depends on what gun you use, what air cap, and what air pressure you spray at. Just mix it up, and shoot some paint! The paint will tell you if you need to reduce it more. Just like getting to the end of a gallon of primer. If it's too thick, reduce!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 1:03 pm
chopolds wrote:Depends on what gun you use, what air cap, and what air pressure you spray at. Just mix it up, and shoot some paint! The paint will tell you if you need to reduce it more. Just like getting to the end of a gallon of primer. If it's too thick, reduce!
Kinda what I was thinking. I went back to my supplier and spoke with one of their pro painters--retied, and he recommended 20-30% and try it, not to go above 30%. I'll shoot a spray out panel this afternoon.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:42 pm
Will say that at a 30% reducer it runs real easy....learning curve for sure. Will report back after I "repair" that.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:05 pm
Finished the job a few days ago. After sanding out the runs in the base I shot it again and was a bit quicker and lighter with the gun. Came out very nice and then 3 coats of clear really made it pop in the light. I'll add some pics later but overall I am happy with it. Since it was my first waterborne job I have to say I prefer solvents but maybe after a few more jobs I would get to like it as much. Very strange to clean out the gun with soapy water though. Just curious, do you Guys that spray a lot of waterborne paint, do you have a dedicated water gun?

Return to Body and Paint