Epoxy over single stage paint

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:38 pm
I’m getting ready to paint my 66 mustang. I know from factory the car was acrylic enamel and then at some point it was resprayed with a single stage, of what I’m not sure. If I take some acetone in a rag and rub an area I will get green paint (color of the car) to show up on the rag but the paint isn’t lifting or anything just get some color on the rag.

My question is that the paint job is actually well adhered and the only places I have bare metal are some small rust patches I have fixed. However I want to seal the whole car prior to paint. Am I ok to apply epoxy over the prepped paint surface I have? I know if you have solvent based paints you could have issues with epoxy which is why the acetone test made me nervous. Or am I better off using a dtm 2k primer and just shooting the whole car and then move to paint? Looking for opinions, ideally I do my body work now on the prepped old paint, then shoot epoxy to seal it all in followed by a 2k primer.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:22 am
Redbird555 wrote:ideally I do my body work now on the prepped old paint,

By "bodywork" do you mean filler? If so, then no, not over previous painted surfaces. If you're going to panelbeat sections, removing any paint over that section, then that's fine, but remember that you will have some fairly big steps between current top of paint level and the level of the metal.

If you're going to do the whole car then taking it all back to bare metal, then epoxy then bodywork, then high fill primer if your bodywork isn't good enough, then topcoats is the better way to go, particularly if you're not sure what is underneath.
Chris

Return to Body and Paint