Question about PPG DP90LF primer.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:47 am
I have a Camaro sub-frame that has been stripped to bare metal. I want to refinish it satin/semi-gloss black. My local PPG guy said I could spray it with DP90LF and nothing else. Claims it will hold up with no problems. What do you guys think?
Thanks

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:39 am
From what I hear it is a good product. I never leave any primer uncoated so I can't say for sure how it will work. But it is self sealing so my guess is that it will last.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:04 pm
You can use 90lf on your frame but you will need at least 2-3 good coats to get proper film build.If you want the best results put down a coat of etch primer(DX 1791) first and then apply your epoxy sealer.You will get the best adhesion to bare metal that way.You can put a good top coat such as Concept(DCC) on your frame or even Delfleet.I have never liked the idea of not top coating my sealers,even on frames.HTH.
Brian

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:44 pm
Go onto the website for Por-15, there you will see a mat black, silver or glossy black paint that will give you the desired look and quality you are looking for to cover your sub-frame. It is also cheaper than multi-processes because it can be sprayed right from the can in one installment and is guaranteed from the manufacturer for 10 years not to chip or peel off. 8) 8) 8)

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:00 pm

I am with him. go with the POR 15 it's really good stuff from what I have heard. if you want a satin black and dont like primer youcould go with a dupont paint or any paint with a flatening agent. I am using some Dupon centauri 99a black with flat agent for a hot rod Tractor project and I like the results.

Good luck
Arin
aka daddysbluetruck

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:47 am
I have personally used the por-15 "Chassis Coat Black" (it's on the frame of my 67 mustang right now).
I will personally attest to the incredible durability of thier coatings.
I paint/restore/customize motorcyles for a living, and use about 6 of thier products regularly, and will continue to do so.

It's THAT good, try it out, you'll see.

(No I don't work for them :P )
"I believe the state of arkansas flag colors should be,...................PRIMER"

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:56 am
You may also want to take a look at a product called Zero Rust. Very good stuff :) .Comes in different colors too.
http://www.zero-rust.com/

Return to Body and Paint