Fine Line Tape On New Decals

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:07 pm
badsix wrote:HEY, I'm slow, real SLOW sometimes in the mind. i don't really see what your wanting to do. could you posibly post a picture of this decal on the tank ( hold it there with a piece of tap?) something a little more specific.
THANKS Jay D.
I will tomorrow, I am literally going out to spray the last coat of epoxy.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:25 pm
Rebel Racing wrote:I really don't know of any other way to get a clean separation between the colors. Maybe I could of made a template that I could of followed for a tape line but if the decal did not follow it perfectly I could of had some of the other color outside of the decal.

Maybe I'm a bit slow too, but having trouble envisioning exactly what you're trying to do. Maybe just a hand drawing of the edge, lines and colours that you want. I'm sure there's a better way than what you're suggesting and definitely ways to achieve a better finish than that horrible hand painted line that's in the picture.
Chris

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:36 pm
NFT5 wrote:Rule No. 1.
Use only 3M Fineline tape. Any other brand is not even in the race.

Rule No. 2
Use only 3M Fineline tape.

Rule No. 3
Use only 3M Fineline tape...

I use both 3M and FBS. I really like the FBS as they have different styles, some are more flexible and able to make tight curves.

I also love their gold crepe tape, you can use the 1/8" for the outline then lay the gold crepe tape over it , then trim.
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:02 pm
NFT5 wrote:
Rebel Racing wrote:I really don't know of any other way to get a clean separation between the colors. Maybe I could of made a template that I could of followed for a tape line but if the decal did not follow it perfectly I could of had some of the other color outside of the decal.

Maybe I'm a bit slow too, but having trouble envisioning exactly what you're trying to do. Maybe just a hand drawing of the edge, lines and colours that you want. I'm sure there's a better way than what you're suggesting and definitely ways to achieve a better finish than that horrible hand painted line that's in the picture.
Looking at it, I can see the confusion I have put forth. I originally thought that if I made a template from the center of the original decal (I made a very poor mark with a Sharpie), then I could cut a paper template and then use that for a guide to make a tape line in the new paint. I didn't trust myself to be that precise and was afraid that I would end up with either of the colors extending or retracting outside of the new decal once it was applied. I know the Pro's are doing this kind of thing regularly but this is my first time with a curvy 2 tone with a multi line decal following it. I'm hoping that the paint/clear build up I will have can be smoothed and then a couple of coats of clear will smooth it to acceptable looks. I suspect some of you are shaking your heads at me but this is truly new stuff to me. The upside is that the owner does not want it back until April, so I do have time to make it right if I mess up really bad--it maybe a learning curve.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:04 pm
OldFatBald wrote:
NFT5 wrote:Rule No. 1.
Use only 3M Fineline tape. Any other brand is not even in the race.

Rule No. 2
Use only 3M Fineline tape.

Rule No. 3
Use only 3M Fineline tape...

I use both 3M and FBS. I really like the FBS as they have different styles, some are more flexible and able to make tight curves.

I also love their gold crepe tape, you can use the 1/8" for the outline then lay the gold crepe tape over it , then trim.
I believe I have FBS on the shelf.....seemed to work well in the past. Maybe 3M is better? No experience.

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:31 pm
badsix wrote:HEY, I'm slow, real SLOW sometimes in the mind. i don't really see what your wanting to do. could you posibly post a picture of this decal on the tank ( hold it there with a piece of tap?) something a little more specific.
THANKS Jay D.
Sorry for the delay. I really don't know how to follow the line of the decal without it being attached to the tank. It will have a lighter color flake inside the decal like in the first pic of the old paint. Any advise is appreciated.
IMG_3361.jpg

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:28 pm
In the first picture it appears you have a strip of lighter color on both sides for the dark line.

Looking at the decal in this picture, it appears the lighter color on each side of the dark line will be even bigger.

Is the goal is to have one color on the inside of the dark line and another color on the outside, without the lighter color bordering the dark line?
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back

USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:47 pm
'68 Coronet R/T wrote:In the first picture it appears you have a strip of lighter color on both sides for the dark line.

Looking at the decal in this picture, it appears the lighter color on each side of the dark line will be even bigger.

Is the goal is to have one color on the inside of the dark line and another color on the outside, without the lighter color bordering the dark line?
From what I see, the replacement decal is a factory duplicate. The inner color of the tank will extend just to the inside edge of the decal. I just don't feel comfortable laying a tape line in hopes that it that the seperation of colors will perfectly be covered by the decal. Other than applying the decal and then taping the edge and spraying the second color, I am lost. I'm sure a Pro would just eyeball it and call it done--that ain't me just yet, LOL.

No Turning Back
USA
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:00 pm
Rebel Racing wrote:From what I see, the replacement decal is a factory duplicate. The inner color of the tank will extend just to the inside edge of the decal. I just don't feel comfortable laying a tape line in hopes that it that the separation of colors will perfectly be covered by the decal. Other than applying the decal and then taping the edge and spraying the second color, I am lost. I'm sure a Pro would just eyeball it and call it done--that ain't me just yet, LOL.

First relax and walk away from it.

Post a pic of the decal.

Your stencil along with light pencil marks is how I do some of my taping. Sometimes I will cut out a paper stencil, stick it on the piece, tape up to it, pull the stencil, then tape up to my previous tape, then fill inside with the orange crepe tape. That is what I did for my kid's computer star below.

I still can't understand what your end goal is. Do you have a pic of what it looked like or pull something off of the web and post it.

BTW, I find some of the FBS tapes superior for what you are doing. The red is the most bendable (if that makes sense) but I only use the red for real tight radiuses.

One more tip that I do is after my taping is all done and prior to shooting a second or different color, I lock the tape edges in with a coat of clear intercoat.
IMG_20200621_161116.jpg
Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head...

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:11 pm
If the width of the decal will cover where the two colors meet, then taping it should just be a matter of following the center line of the decal.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31
PreviousNext

Return to Body and Paint