Tips for painting in tight/hidden areas? (See Pic)

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:52 pm
I'm hoping someone has some ideas about how I can paint tight/hidden areas like this section of the trunk as shown in this picture? (Car is a 68 Olds 442)
Painting quandary.jpg

My plan is to paint the entire inside of the trunk with a single stage hot rod satin black urethane and I'd like the hidden areas to be treated to a nice coat of paint as well, but I'm at a loss as to how best to accomplish that. I do have a mini spray gun but there really isn't room for it to get in there to do the job even using a remote cup and flexible tubing assembly I fabricated. I was thinking that a normal spray bomb can could possibly be used upside down (a little at a time) to do this area if I could somehow get paint that would match and be compatible. I would appreciate receiving any tips or tricks that one might have for this type of situation.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:49 am
I would just turn the fan down and spray it down in there.( if you turn the fan down you should turn the fluid down also) if your not happy with that then brush some in the very bottom.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:08 pm
My issue isn't really painting the bottom area of the fender down there. What I'm trying to figure out is how to paint the vertical section of metal that comes up from the bottom of the quarter panel to the trunk floor. The little half inch lip extension that this panel has (which is level with the trunk floor) makes it a challenge to paint the upper portion of this vertical panel (and especially the bottom side of the 1/2" lip extension).

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:28 pm
Airbrush.

Alternately, Iwata and Star both make mini guns with a side mounted, rotatable cup so you can turn the gun upside down. Airbrush would be easier, though.
Chris

Non-Lurker

Canada
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:50 pm
Thanks for the idea with the airbrush Chris. I hadn't considered that. I'm assuming that I could just reduce the single stage urethane to the point that it sprays okay? An airbrush has such a fine needle and opening that I wouldn't have thought it would work.

Top Contributor
Australia
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:58 am
Airbrushes come in different sizes, but yes, you'll probably have to over-reduce a bit to get it to atomise in the airbrush. As for that bit behind the lip, I'd just brush it, then spray the rest. You'll never see it anyway. :wink:
Chris

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:50 pm
I have a similar problem. Guess what I forgot to do before lightning glue.

crusty
20240211-February-W6_214614844_chrome.png

new
20240211-February-W6_214743450_chrome.jpg

Return to Body and Paint