To clear, or not to clear. That is the question.

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:14 pm
I'm working on my Chevelle project, and as usual it has gotten out of hand. I picked up some Omni MTK which I was going to use to just paint the new doors. The color matched well with what was on the car, so I was going to leave it at that. After catching a good case of the You-Might-As-Wells, I decided to also do the jambs, both fenders, the header panel, and the bumper filler. The paint on the rest of the car is good, but is aging and beginning to fail in places. I eventually will strip and paint the car from the doors back, but that's more than I want to do right now (the car is a weekend/vacation car that I don't want out of commission for years).

Here is my question:

The acrylic urethane Omni looks great without a clear coat. I had originally planned not to use one because the rest of the car (painted long before I got it) didn't have clear coat. Now I'm being indecisive. I can do one of several things:

1. Paint just the new parts with the MTK, and shoot the clear on the whole car, so it matches better in terms of shine. This would entail painting over imperfections (ie chips and so forth) in the existing paint.

2. Paint the new parts with the MTK and then shoot a coat of MTK over the rest of the car, and dispense with the clear altogether.

3. I would LOVE to strip and repaint the whole car, but the back end is going to need new quarters (old rust repair - not a bad job, but aging) and trunk pans, which is not something I want to tackle just yet.

I have done a test panel, and although I don't know what kind of paint is on the car now, it doesn't appear that I will have any compatibilty problems with the Omni.

Sorry for the long post but what do you all think?

cheers,
Andy

Return to Body and Paint