Requirements for House Of Kolor candies?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:11 pm
I plan on doing a flame paint job on my truck. I"m looking at HOK colors; UK17 (purple) and UK05 (cobalt blue) using a base color silver, BC02. I want to achieve a candy look but I don't want to have to pile on the clear to hide the edge of the flames. Are there other products that I'm not aware of? Any special requirements or knowledge I need to know before starting this? ANY info is greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Christine
Silly boys....Trucks R 4 Girls.

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:06 am
i was looking into doing the same on my camaro,

what i was thinking of doing was shoot the base then the special sealer that hok requires before taping. then tape out the flames and shot another base of the color for the flamse and then all that is left is the candy and then the clear.

the base only requires enought to change the color since it is a 3 step process. so ridges should not be a problem as long as you just shoot enough to change the color.

if you look at the hok chips in the candie book you can see the diffrence the candie makes over diffrent bases. so if you are going for a cobalt finished product, and want lighter flames then you would have to pick a diffrent base for you finished color as the silver base is the lightest finished color on the cobalt line. you could go darker flames by doing the flames in a diffrent base bc05 or 6. i don;t know how much of a diffrence each base would give you for end result.

hope that is clear for you. kinda hard to explain. and i am by no means any expert but that is what i found from reading everything i could find.

what are you using to tape your flames ? free hand or the bag o flames from hok?
85 z28 305 tpi Project resurection

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:31 am
I just saw the "bag o flames" from HOK. That looked interesting. I was going to have someone lay them out, but they'll charge $150-200. I'm very artistic so I thought about doing them myself. I've done a few before. Do you know what's in the 'bag o flames'?

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:40 am
never seen in them hok bag o flames but i am also interested.

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:14 pm
I just ordered the Bag O Flames today, so I'll let you know what's in it when I get it. Hopefully next week.

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:30 pm
so did the bag o flames com in yet?

Settled In
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:28 pm
Yup, I got the bag o flames, and now I don't need them. I have a guy who's going to lay the flames out for me. The bag o flames contains a hood pattern and side pattern and instructions. I didn't open it because I want to see if I can return it.

Return to Body and Paint