Concerned Newbie

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:02 am
Hi Everyone,
I'm restoring a 66 Type 1(Beetle) VW. I've striped the entire car and used etching primer and then a sanding primer all from a spray can. Paint shop recomended these products. I got a IR HVLP gravity gun form Santa. I asked for this gun, I've read that gravity would be the best way to go. I have a 2.5hp tank that holds 27 gallons. I'm not sure what the cfm would be on the compressor. I know what the gun requires.

I'm going to build an outdoors temporary booth. I've read about resporators and all that too. I'm not sure what type paint to use for a first timer. To me BCCC (base coat clear coat) would be the way to go but I haven't read that any where yet. If you have problems you have a chance to repair it if it is not to bad. I'm not sure how to mix the paint and things like that but I'm sure that the paint store folks can guide me in the right direction on that. I'm concerned about the overspray and fumes. I would hate to build all this and the Feds show up at my house. The type of paint may affect that factor? I'm planing on shooting the car in the spring when it is warmer and the pollen has not yet started to fall. Also I'm not sure if some paints need to be baked on. The outside booth should help this if indeed it needs to be heated in some way. Lots of guestions but I'm game and ready to finish this car.

Check out www.thesamba.com/vw for photos of the worlds most popular car.
Thanks,
rpm750

Settled In
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:55 am
if your booth is outside then fumes around the booth won't be as bad. if your house/booth is really close to your neighbors property/house then it may be more of a problem.

with a gravity fed hvlp gun overspray wont be as much of a problem.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:45 am
paint during the day, mon-fri, and do the sanding and prep on the weekend, so your neighbors wont be home when the fumes are at thier worst.

Have a top exhaust, so the fumes vent away from the nerarby homes, and filter the exhaust, and change the filters often, so you dont get any overspray on your neighbors stuff (that causes complaints WAY faster than fumes)

Keep in mind as long as you only paint once in a while, the "feds" wont show up at your house, as you arent using enough paint REGULARLY to cause much trouble.

Here in california as long as I shoot less than a gallon a month (motorcycles only), I am considered a "hobbyist", and am exempt from air quality control, however I still use compliant products, and techniques.

Also about paints containing isocyanates and air purifying respoirators read this:

www.osha-slc.gov/SLTC/autobody/docs/cdc ... ocyanates1

And here is the quote you want to pay attention to:

"Isocyanate exposures were generally below the various evaluation criteria. One sample did exceed the NIOSH ceiling RELs indicating a need for protective measures. NIOSH recommends air supplied respirators whenever there is the potential for exposure to isocyanates. There are no NIOSH approved air-purifying respirators for isocyanates because isocyanates have no odor warning properties to indicate breakthrough of the cartridge. Studies have shown that combination dust/mist and organic cartridges effectively stop isocyanates and that the various solvents, particularly n-butyl acetate, will break through the cartridge long before the isocyanates. Therefore, the combination dust/mist/organic air-purifying respirators should provide adequate protection against the small amounts of isocyanate present and the n-butyl acetate odor can be used to indicate breakthrough of the cartridges. Eye and skin protection also needs to be provided with isocyanate monomers."

What that says is that the isocyanate molecules are MUCH larger & more complex than the N-butyl acetate molecules, so they cant get through the filter mask, unless the n-butyl acetate punches a hole large enough for them to get through, so if you smell anything, change the filters before proceeding. I change my filters after about 2 clear coats, and after using the mask, I wait 4 hours for the isocyanate to neutralize, then store the filter cartridges in an airtight jar, until next use.

Obviously outside air systems are preffered, but YOU CAN SAFELY PAINT WITH A RESPIRATOR MASK IF YOU USE COMMON SENSE.

1) REALLY good airflow in the booth, so the mask isn't overcome by the fumes

2) EYE & SKIN protection is a MUST

3)change the filter cartridges often

4) wear ALL the gear BEFORE you even open the can of activator

5) let the mask air dry outside for 4 to 5 hours, then store in an airtight container to preserve the charcoal

FYI
"I believe the state of arkansas flag colors should be,...................PRIMER"

Return to Body and Paint