Whats first filler or primer?

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Settled In
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:04 pm
Hello,

I just found this site and read alot on it and I am learning alot. I am helping my dad to restore an old tractor. It has alot of body damage that cannot be got to because of bracing. My question is what do you do first? I have heard that you put the body filler on to bare metal first then primer. I have also heard that you should put epoxy primer then the body filler. Which is right? Thanks for the help. I will probabley be asking more on painting as the progect goes on.

Thanks
Chad

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:55 pm
It depends on the primer you decide to use. If you havent bought your primer yet ask your paint supplier what the paint mfg recomends.
If your priming with epoxy then filler goes over the primer. Otherwise most regular primers the filler goes under. But the epoxy primer will be your best bet.

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:07 am
Hello,

Thanks for the info. We are using epoxy primer. I have another question.
I took the part down to bare metal, but I put filler on a section of it then sprayed epoxy over that. Should I remove that filler and start again with the epoxy?

Thanks Again.
Chad

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 2:19 pm
The reason to go over the epoxy is that the epoxy seals the metal. You can leave it the way it is.but in the future go over the epoxy. Also before you epoxy prime the part you should use a self etching primer on bare metal. It will help the epoxy stick better. I've done it both ways before so I won't tell you to remove the epoxy now, but in the future you might want to use the etching primer.

Return to Body and Paint