Shake rattle and roll

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:44 am
Hello,
I'm new here and like this forum (hits the nial on the head).

I'm thinking of painting a truck (TT) with rattle cans. A store here has them at $1.99 for 283g or 10,OZ can. It's an acrylic enamel. Can I count on this kind of paint to last, protect and look good? How's that compare with buying seperate everything and mixing them all together? Seems a good idea to just paint off a can.

Thanks

Settled In
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:51 am
I've seen it done but I wouldn't recommend it. I don't think the cans have any UV protection. Also they put non-drying agents in the cans to increase shelf life. Also there will be no two cans with the same spray pattern. Inconsistancy in the spray pattern causes trouble.

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:01 pm
I did a test area (door) and wasn't satisfied.
The color is white, The texture and finish is sub par than other vehicles finishes. It lacks lustre and is not a smooth finish.
I downloaded from this web site (http://autobody101.com/download.php)
that says it's OK to paint with rattle cans, but I wanted some input. Obviously this article is mistaken.

I'm not looking for a superb finish, jusy something acceptable and presentable.
I'm leaning towards a semi-gloss finish as it hides the imperfections. Why the fascination with high gloss finish?

What should I be looking if I were to buy a semi-gloss paint for a truck (tractor)? Or should I not bother.

Thanks

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:43 pm
VArlos,

If you are going to use a rattle can, use a quality one. I would think you should go for something more in the $5.00 range.

It sounds like you are trying to get suede. I personally like these paint jobs.

As far as the article, it was written by a gentleman who will definitely stand behind his words. Read it very carefully. The great thing about a site like this and others like it is that you can get as many opinions as you need. Take all those opinions and make your best call.

Thank you for your interest in the site.
64 Chevy - Bel Air, 2 door, 283, PG
79 Vespa - P125 all stock for now!

Return to Body and Paint