Painting Question - Corvette Underbody & Frame

General Discussion. Make yourself at home...read, ask and answer!

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 2:29 pm
I have stripped my 84 Corvette down to the Bare Frame and getting ready to Clean, Prep, and Paint...

The underbelly of the floorpan is in excellent condition and the Undercoating is as well. Since the Undrcoating is intact and solid, I was thinking about just cleaning with denatured alcohol and respraying a Gloss Black. The frame and crossmember section of the Corvette will also be sprayed a Gloss Black. Some had said to do a BC/CC on the Underbelly and Frame. I don't know...

Question 1 - Since the Undercoating is solid with NO CRACKS, would I be wise to go ahead and remove the Undercoating and then Paint, or would it be okay to leave the Undercoating in place and just Paint that???

Question 2 - What would you recommend as a Good, Durable Paint for the Underbelly???

I will be cleaning the Frame, Crossmember, and Firewall and re-painting it as well...

Question 3 - What Paint would you recommend for this task. I will need a good, durable Paint that will hold up for many years as I will be keeping this Corvette and only driving it to Rod Runs and such...

I also have the Interior gutted and the Floorpan sripped down to bare metal as well as the Inner Firewall (I guess it is aluminum)...

Question 4 - What Paint would you recommend for the Interior Firewall and Floorplan? I will be covering this with Dynamat's xtreme Foil Face Sound Padding and New Carpeting...

This will be my FIRST Paint Job with a Spray Gun/Compressor, so this should be interested...

I guess I will get me a Platinum LV Gun and the compressor I have will more than serve its purpose for this project. I do have some questions on what Air Cap and Tip to use with this. But I guess I will need to know what Paint to use first...

Thanks in advance...
Outlaw

Settled In
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:06 pm
Question 1 - Since the Undercoating is solid with NO CRACKS, would I be wise to go ahead and remove the Undercoating and then Paint, or would it be okay to leave the Undercoating in place and just Paint that???

I would clean it with warm soapy water and let it dry and paint it

Question 2 - What would you recommend as a Good, Durable Paint for the Underbelly???

Single stage

I will be cleaning the Frame, Crossmember, and Firewall and re-painting it as well...

same here

Question 3 - What Paint would you recommend for this task. I will need a good, durable Paint that will hold up for many years as I will be keeping this Corvette and only driving it to Rod Runs and such...

Single stage Enamel Dupont

I also have the Interior gutted and the Floorpan sripped down to bare metal as well as the Inner Firewall (I guess it is aluminum)...

(I guess it is aluminum)... I am Not Sure

Question 4 - What Paint would you recommend for the Interior Firewall and Floorplan? I will be covering this with Dynamat's xtreme Foil Face Sound Padding and New Carpeting...

Interior Firewall base coat clear

Floorplan single stage

This will be my FIRST Paint Job with a Spray Gun/Compressor, so this should be interested...

Yes it will

I guess I will get me a Platinum LV Gun and the compressor I have will more than serve its purpose for this project. I do have some questions on what Air Cap and Tip to use with this. But I guess I will need to know what Paint to use first...
Pardue's Custom's & Restoration

Non-Lurker
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:31 pm
Thank you Pardue'sCustoms for taking the tie to reply to my questions. Your answers are a big help and I will probably be back soon with more...

Thanks again...
Outlaw

Return to Body and Paint