first go at lead/bodysoldering

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Top Contributor
USA
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:02 pm
For those who do prefer solder, it may be wise to use unleaded, although it doesn't flow as easily.

NWMac wrote:Uuuummmmmmm what's wrong with laquer? acrylic laquer was what I learned with lol you get to do lots of colour sanding and lay down lots of coats of clear then colour sand and polish and if you arent happy you lay down another set of clear and do it again. lol in some things progress has been very kind to painters.

Nothing wrong with lacquer if you don't mind taking the extra time, (or paying for it) to paint the car.
For a daily driver, lacquer requires a lot more maintenance than urethane, and in most cases won't last as long. For many, those cons don't matter if they prefer the look of lacquer, the car is a trailer queen, or, prefer restorations as close as possible to original.
On the other hand, there are a lot of old school painters who stopped using lacquer and enamel, because those technologies are very different from what they were back in the day. Personally, I like lacquer, I just don't like all that sanding, especially since the last time I painted a whole car was over 30 years ago. Good 'ol Arty has taken his toll.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:19 pm
Just did my first "Lead" body solder work using Eastwood's "lead free" solder. Since I have never worked with the 75/25 or 70/30 lead tin I can't compare but have to admit it was a lot easier than I thought.
I had 4 areas (about 2x3 to 6x8) to work on. three were areas that needed about 1/8 to 3/16 "filler" right at the edge of a door.

See http://www.autobody101.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22173.

For "training" I watched a good number of YouTube videos and think I was able to pick out good methods from some not so good. By area #4 I think I I got a pretty good hang of the process. Since two areas were on a door I was able to lay it flat so that helped avoid solder ending up on the floor. I bought a propane torch from HF http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-three-burners-91899.html Note there are other models that may be better but don't know.

Other than the price ($60 a pound) I find I really like the product. Would use it more except for the cost. Am hoping to find an alternate more reasonable priced product as after filing smooth I think I end up with $10 of shavings on the floor. :cry:
Check out my web blog www.RVTiresafety.com
More than just RV tire stuff is covered.
Previous

Return to Welding & Metal Fab