Spot weld drill bit

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:51 am
Hey guys,
I would appreciate a recommendation here. Do I want the zero angle type drill bits or the other style that is like a mini hole saw? Blair? I'll be working on a 04 honda civic si. Does this have the boron welds and if so would it not be difficult to position the "hole saw" type cutter exactly centered or do those cutters tackle the boron also? Any rec. where to purchase online also...thanks!

Bob

Top Contributor

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:49 pm
If ya are dong a quarter just get the Blair hole saw type. It will come with 3 cutters and should get a thru fine. Just center punch the spots first. Try autobodytomart.com
I get mine locally at the jobber.
Got this on my smart phone....
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/premium ... 11736.aspx
Good luck.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:39 pm
I've had good luck with a Blair spotweld cutter - I've only used the 'skip proof' variety but (so long as you center punch) it does tend to work as advertised. The Blair is a hole-saw type BTW.

-Trevor

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:10 pm
Blair all the way, dont waste your time or money on HF. i have drilled about 200 holes in my Roadrunner and still unsing the same cutter.
OH, i also use the blair stick lube. one tube goes a really long way, and really makes a big difference.
Pat in Tennessee

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:42 pm
I third the Blair. I was having issues with the bit skipping even though I center punched it. I'd recommend center punch, followed up by a tiny amount of drilling with your smallest bit.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:21 pm
I have found the blair tool to work best if you start out spinning the drill slowly until the cutter begins to make a groove. Once it has a track to follow you can increase the speed and pressure applied.
If you start too fast they tend to shatter on the spot weld high spots.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:28 pm
I used the blair for a long time and was never happy with it. So I tried the keysco

The 3/8" cutter was never very sharp, but the 1/4" did a good job for about 50 spots then the point broke off.
So I tried the Blair premium spot weld cutter, and it does a very good job. There is a pilot drill bit that is spring loaded and will not drill deeper than the cutter, but it doesn't need a center punch and doesn't walk around.

Just a good clean hole

Its very sharp, so you can use the drill at a slow speed and go right on through. And as Roadrunner said the Blair stick lube does help a lot.

Return to Welding & Metal Fab