Door jamb crunch

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:17 pm
Having troubles with this dent guys. As you see I try to slide hammer it out but really doesn't get me anywhere. And as for the top ridge there's no getting to. Should I just cut and reweld a patch?
Attachments
image.jpg

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:30 am
With that horizontal line I think that is a tough one to pull out. If it were me I would try to weld in a new section

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:43 pm
For one thing: Throw that POS backyard magic dent puller with the screw attachment in the garbage. Buy a professional stud puller. And even that has limited use. For example: I have Pontiac that was hit in the nose which drove the top LH side of the firewall back 3/4". Guess where I'm putting it? On the frame machine, putting on clamps, and simply rolling it back in place. In collision work, assessment of the hit is done first, the car is pulled and then panels are replaced. Pulls are always done prior to panel replacement; unless a qualified tech can evaluate if a pull is not required before replacing a panel.

Makes you wonder what was done to a car you want to buy, by whom it was repaired, and what their knowledge was.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:51 pm
ScottB wrote:For one thing: Throw that POS backyard magic dent puller with the screw attachment in the garbage. Buy a professional stud puller. And even that has limited use. For example: I have Pontiac that was hit in the nose which drove the top LH side of the firewall back 3/4". Guess where I'm putting it? On the frame machine, putting on clamps, and simply rolling it back in place. In collision work, assessment of the hit is done first, the car is pulled and then panels are replaced. Pulls are always done prior to panel replacement; unless a qualified tech can evaluate if a pull is not required before replacing a panel.

Makes you wonder what was done to a car you want to buy, by whom it was repaired, and what their knowledge was.

The pos stud puller pulled out some good dents in my camaro and. Chevelle. I bought stud puller and it was worse then the screw slide hammer. Ended up cutting whole rocker out and replacing not bad for a unqualified unprofessional I guess

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:46 pm
Neils71camaro wrote: The pos stud puller pulled out some good dents in my camaro and. Chevelle. I bought stud puller and it was worse then the screw slide hammer. Ended up cutting whole rocker out and replacing not bad for a unqualified unprofessional I guess

Did you read where it was written a stud gun has limited use? Complete rocker replacement is not unusual after a hit; and after the car is assessed and pulled if needed on a frame machine. No stud gun was going to repair the rocker you posted. Screw style slide hammers are not used in professional body and resto shops. The harshness about a cheap product is the truth.
The strength of high crowns and multiple bends of your rocker would never allow a pull to be obtained by a screw style dent puller or a stud puller. Short sectioning as suggested by another poster is not always correct; points A to B must be in true alignment for sectioning to be done corrrectly. That's why full rockers are replaced.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:03 pm
The rocker was repairable if done the right way with weld on tabs. Just repaired a 2012 Dodge 3500 that was honestly quite a bit worse and more body lines. Insurance company wouldn't write to section. That's a time consuming repair when it comes to making it perfect. Dent pullers or stud guns wont touch that. I welded tabs and pulled with the frame machine. The proper way would be to section it but after it has been pulled properly. Do you a picture of your finished product?

Return to Welding & Metal Fab