Hobart 125 or 210 mvp for at home hobbyist?

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:39 pm
Hey guys so I got my first job and plan on fixing my wrecked Integra. It has a cracked radiator support with no damage or bending to the side frames. I already got the replacement rad support but plan on doing it myself because all the shops are upcharging me around 300-400. I'm pretty confident I can do it myself with a few days protecting plug welds on scrap metal. My only concern is which welder to buy. I originally wanted to only fix my radiator support but may want one that can handle exhausts and other thicker metals INCASE I decide to go that route one day. My question is will the hobart 125 with the gas mig setup able to handle these jobs or should I go with the 210 mvp or another setup entirely?

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:15 pm
Yes the Hobart 125 will handle that job , get some .030 wire and you will be ok, on the other hand if you have the money to buy the 210 buy it, that way you know if you get a bigger job with thicker metal you can weld it, one thing with most mig welders, they come with junk ground clamps, get one of those alligator clamps that are all copper

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:11 am
Not telling you what to get but I was in the same situation you were and I decided to go with the hobart210 mvp, for the extra money it was worth it. I could weld small sheet metal right up to 1/2 steel, also for some reason it welds thinner stuff alot better on 240 volts using gas of course.

My two cents,

Settled In

Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:14 am
Never mind just looked at the dates of the post.

Return to Welding & Metal Fab