Pretty basic question

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Non-Lurker

Israel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:52 pm
Hi everyone, im pretty new to the bodywork business.
My familiy has several classic cars and jeeps, so Ive been starting doing paint jobs for each car in the last year.

One of my jeeps was painted by a pro, and looking at the pics from the work he has been doing, I could see something i dont understand.
The sheet metal patches you make are done on the same level as the panel?
it seems that in the picture he put it over the holes from the outside.
if so, how did he get it leveled after?
Is it necessarily bad to do it like this? and from the inside?
Thanks in advance!

IMG_0968.JPG

IMG_0986.JPG

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:56 pm
How much body filler did you have to sand off?
Those patches are really very poorly done and great places for rust to form.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Non-Lurker

Israel
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:05 pm
Maybe i didnt explainmyself properly, but this paint job he did is 3 yrs old only, and those pics are from the job he did. That paint job is still intact, so i cant tell how much body filler is there.
Im asking because i have another jeep that i want to paint now and patches are required, and i want to know if patching over and than applying filler for leveling is an ok method.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:08 pm
I think what 68 Coronet is saying is that based on the patches that are just tack welded on top of the body where the rust was (assuming the rust was cut out) would leave a lip roughly 1/16" higher than the rest of the body.

While I think this fits in the realm of what body filler will cover, you will have to fill the entire rest of the body panel--and probably any other panels nearby to a similar thickness so that everything is straight.

I think if you were to cheat like this, you would weld the patch panel on the inside and only fill the square in your pic with body filler--NOT saying this is correct.

Another thing to consider (I'm no expert at this) is to check out eastwood's video on patch panels. They spot weld a backer strip around the cut-out and then spot weld the patch to the backer strip. Many (I agree) will argue that this will leave areas for rust because it is not seem welded on the backer strips.

Return to Welding & Metal Fab