Filling screw holes in door panel.

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:09 pm
you will still need to grind the weld down and give it a small dent so you can add body filler to get a surface ready for paint

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:48 pm
Marq wrote:you will still need to grind the weld down and give it a small dent so you can add body filler to get a surface ready for paint

Doubtful. In the decades I've been in this business, this repair location will only require a skimcoat or none, with no "small dent" for filler. Many times a proper weld only needs primer prior to paint.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:50 pm
I got the mirror holes welded in. Went smoothly, not problems. Whatever distortion the welding may have caused was probably not as bad as what the screws did holding the mirror in place. I had to tap one high spot down because of the latter.

Other than that just a skim of filler and it feels very smooth to the touch. I'll get some epoxy over it and some build primer this week and I'm sure it will appear as though it was never there.

I'll add this: I welded in all five holes. My understanding is these cars did not come from the factory with a passenger side mirror. I am trying to simplify this car as much as I can and I decided this mirror could go away.

Previous

Return to Welding & Metal Fab