Filling screw holes in door panel.

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:09 pm
Below are five screw holes in my door panel (67 Camaro).

Three are marked with blue arrows and are extra holes. The two unmarked holes are for the mirror mounting bracket.

What is the best way to deal with these extra holes? Obviously they are small holes.

At the risk of panel distortion, I could weld them.

Would it be reasonable to just bondo them in?

Are there other options I am not thinking of?

Advice appreciated.

Fully Engaged

USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:52 pm
I'd weld them shut and grind them down.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:27 pm
Goode advice above ^^^ the trouble with filler is that it shrinks. a month or two your going to see a crater there and later most likely small cracks around the edges. it not a good way to go.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:01 pm
Is there not a high concern for panel warp?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:21 am
Not when welded properly.
Check out the Welding and Metal Fab section for some great information on how to get this done right.
Detailed posts at the top of that page will give you step by step directions in working with metal.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:04 am
Ok, I'll read up before I start welding.

I have done some welding (obviously, I welded in the tail panel) but I am no better at that than I am the rest of this stuff :(

I certainly know enough to realize there can be risks. I'll read then be back with questions if I still have questions.

Thanks guys, sometimes my apprehension and fear of causing myself problems hold me back a bit.

Top Contributor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:29 am
I don't know what type of welding equipment you have, but here are a couple tips that may help. make absolutely sure your metal is clean, sand the back side clean no paint. when you weld start at the edge of the hole and around, it don't try and go around it all at one time you want several short tacks. those holes shouldn't be a problem and warpage should be minable. you can back up the hole with a piece of copper this works good most of the time but not always. as for distortion anytime you heat metal its going to shrink when it cools you can stretch it back out with a hammer and dolly.
Jay D.
they say my name is Jay

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:10 pm
Thanks badsix for the advice there.

My welder is a little Hobart *Handler 187* ... It's a 220 wire feed version.

I think it's capable of doing good work to the extent my skill allows ;)

At this point in time the door is fully assembled. I can't get to the back side of the metal.

The good part is I don't absolutely need to fill these holes right now either.

Hopefully I can get to the back side by simply removing the interior door panel. Hard to know for sure if there might be other structures in the way with the panel off. The post for the wing vent is right there behind these holes. Maybe we have a first generation camaro expert here that knows something about what's inside there.

Anyway, looks like I might be holding off on this little piece of the project for a bit.

Fully Engaged

Australia
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:43 am
just take your time and do small tacks, allow them to cool to touch between welds, dont use a wet cloth as this will promote shrinking of the panel, just let it cool naturally and you will be fine
krem

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:32 pm
I've owned first gens since 1982 and have customers' 67-69s in my shop year long. That mirror area is reinforced on the backside. Not sure what type of job you are doing, but all my cars are stripped to bare metal after gutting the car. A simple repaint for a driver does not require this if the existing paint is good, which is rare. Your car appears to have numerous layers over the years of unknown quality.

There will be very little distortion welding those hole due to the reinforcement and proximity to high crowns. You'll be buying new glass and chrome if you do not remove or cover it when welding.
Next

Return to Welding & Metal Fab