Which MIG welder to buy for cars?

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:17 am
car5car wrote:I need to install a few parts or rear clip.
I am going to buy a welder and spend some time learning to weld. I have stick welder and did some work with it.
Thanks.
I guess flux welder is not a good choice? Does it have to be with gas bottle?
Here are HarborFreight welders, which one should I buy?
Thanks.

Check Tractor supply bought my Hobart and they met the online price. Mine will run 220 or 110 volts. Great welder and I have a collision shop so use it a lot. Can't remember the model #. And yes run the 75/25 gas.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:37 pm
NFT5 wrote:Wow! That Hobart Handler 187 is a power hog.

The Handler line use older transformer technology. The Unimig uses an inverter. Inverters are more efficient and require less current for the same output than a transformer. Most all the newer machines are inverter machines, MIG and TIG.

The Handler series is a great entry level/small shop welder. If you are just doing panels and light chassis work the 140 is fine. If you weld over 1/8" very much the 187 is the better choice. For gas bottles the best value for the garage welder is the mid-size, 80 or 125 not the smallest (20). Avoid flux core for this kind of work.

Dave

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:32 pm
I can't comment on the Hobart because I have never used one. I upgraded from a gas-less flux core 110V Century welder to a Miller-matic 185. This thing is the bee's knee's. It welds so much better than my old welder I can't even compare the two. Mine was about $800 on sale at the local welding supply.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:17 pm
The Hobart and Miller are pretty similar. Hobart is more of a value line and doesn't go into the high end market like Miller. Both are made in Appleton at the Miller plant. ITW owns both Miller and Hobart (as well as Bernard, Gema, Binks and many others).

Dave

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:51 pm
I picked up a Hobart 210MVP Mig Welder from Tractor Supply last fall for about $900 after taxes. So far it has worked great for me. That unit has quick connectors for 110V or 220V and the max output is 185 amps. One thing to look for on which ever unit you buy is what wire size will it run. The newer models usually have groves on their pinch roller for .023, .030, and .037 I believe. Some older models may require the purchase of separate rollers that can be interchange for the wire size you want to run. The newer Hobarts and Millers have all three groves on one roller.

Also note, Hobart and Miller are owned by the same company and share a lot of the same parts. Lincoln is another good brand from what the welders in the plant I work at tell me. I would stay with one of the three mentioned. All three make good units and parts are readily available if needed at most welding supply houses.

Non-Lurker

USA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:35 am
My brother and I have a millermatic 135 110 v .Had it about 10yrs? not sure but hasn't failed.But weld gun cable has a tendicy to pull out of the front of the machine.Then wire gets jammed up.Other than that it's been great.My2cents.
Previous

Return to Welding & Metal Fab