Plasma Cutter recommendations?

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:35 pm
I am thinking about adding a plasma cutter to my shop toy collection. Anyone have a recommendation for a good unit with a good duty cycle that doesn't break the bank?

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:14 pm
It depends on how thick you want to cut, how much you cut and how big your bank is. I use Hypertherm machines. The Powermax 30XP is great though about $1400. A better value is the next step up PM 45XP. Those are pro level machines and if you aren't cutting all the time it may not be worth it. (I have an earlier 30 and 45) Can't go wrong with any of the name brands.

You can get imports all day long under a grand, some under $500. If you go that route, stick with someone like Summit or Eastwood so you'll have some service. Everlast and Longevity make machines a lot of hobby guys use but the support can be spotty. I find the import torch and hose assemblies to be clunky as are the air connections. Depending on where you are getting consumables for the imports can be problematic.

Besides build quality one of the main differences between name brand and import is consumable life and duty cycle. If you are cutting up a car for scrap you'll likely hit the duty cycle and you are likely to use 4-5 times more consumables than a name brand. If you aren't cutting all the time and aren't on the clock for cleaning the dross from the cut it's not a big deal.

Most of the import cutters come from the same few factories. They may be packaged or badged differently but are mostly alike on the inside. Other differences can be the torch and work clamp config. Features to look for include pilot arc start and post cut air flow (most now have that) and drag cutting (so you don't have to hold the torch above the workpiece) is nice as well but not as prevalent on the import machines.

That said, for imports I'd look first to Longevity, Eastwood or Everlast.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:33 am
Thanks for the feedback. I don't know anything about plasma cutters so you bring up several things I need to think about.

It will just be used for light weight stuff. Mostly auto body, Maybe an occasional piece of 1/4". I do like the idea of drag and cut. I think would like to keep it under $1K if possible.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:07 pm
You can get a name brand for about a grand. The small Thermal Dynamics is a nice little machine. http://store.cyberweld.com/thdycu42plcu.html It's not the least expensive and it's not quite as robust as the Hypertherm but it's a solid machine and probably the best value.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:34 pm
I will check with local welding supply and see if they carry Thermal Dynamics. I see Victor printed on the side. Is that a series or are they involved with the Victor torch people?

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:58 pm
Esab owns Victor, Thermal Dynamics and Tweeco now. It's pretty easy to find those brands at an LWS though it's probably not going to be internet pricing. We only have chain stores now, Airgas and Praxair. My great local store got bought by Prax 4-5 years ago. The Airgas guys treat me well but they can't come close to matching internet prices. Cyberweld, Harris and IOC are what I use if it's not gas or a few of this or that.

Dave

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:24 pm
I have been looking at the Thermal Dynamics unit on several web sites. I have seen some places that say it is built in China. Is that correct?
How does the quality compare to something like Hobart?
Can it be fixed for a reasonable price if it does break? It seems that a lot of the no name units from china are disposable.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:25 pm
The lower end TD machines like the Cutmaster 42 are imports. They are from Esab controlled operations in Asia and last I heard torches from Mexico. This is different than the other import plasmas as Esab have control over the facilities where as the off name brands pay a contractor to badge a machine that that make for others.

You'll be able get service for a TD unit through a US based service center, usually in conjunction with you LWS if you go that way. The issue with the off name brands besides potential consumable availability is the ability to get them easily serviced. There are a few service centers for the low end brands but Thermal Dynamics, Lincoln, Esab, Hypertherm and Miller/Hobart have independent service centers US wide that perform warranty work. You'll also be able to get consumables at your LWS or easily online.

If you are looking for a US designed and built lower capacity (40-50 amps) machine your choices are Hypertherm and Miller/Hobart.

Fully Engaged
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:53 pm
All of the instruction videos I have found show nice clean metal being cut. I want it for cutting out rusty panels and making patches. How do the plasma cutters perform when cutting through rusty and painted metal? I don't want to have to strip a panel before I can cut it out and scrap it.

What is the normal kerf of the cut in thin sheet metal? I have seen where some brands like Hypertherm have consumables that are called fine cut. How much narrower is the cut with fine cut consumables?

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:40 pm
A plasma will cut through paint and rust, no problem. I'll usually use some acetone to get oil off whatever I'm cutting though on new metal no prep at all. Cutting dirty or painted steel could impact consumable life but for small/home shop use it won't be a big deal.

For hand cutting thin material the kerf isn't bad as the machine setting and technique will play a larger role in kerf width than the granularity of the consumable. Dross will be a bigger issue and minimizing dross largely has to do with torch technique and machine settings. The application where fine consumables work best are on CNC tables though on thicker material (1/4" +) that needs a more precise fit you may need to use fine cut on a hand torch from time to time.

If you require more controlled kerf and dross your machine choices pare down to a few. Hypertherm, Miller/Hobart, Esab and Lincoln. I'll choose Hypertherm all day long. They cost more but you get what you pay for. Jim Colt is the cutting guru at Hypertherm and is all over the web. You can find him at Welding Web or Pirate 4x4 among others. The resources at Hypertherm are good and relate to plasma cutting in general, not just Hypertherm. He's very generous with his knowledge and experience regardless of if you are a Hypertherm customer or not.

That said, for what you are doing the less expensive, even import machines will work well for your app. However, there is a difference in service and quality using the name brand machine and if you can afford it you'll be pleased and have an excellent tool for years to come.

Return to Welding & Metal Fab