Panel Bond and Welding

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:37 am
I've been working through some panel replacement with the typical idea of plug welding them, using weld through and cleaned plug holes.

Lately I've been wondering about the aspect of panel bonding and plug welding. I know the product has been extensively tested in many fields/applications now.

I know it works good for modern cars, that are designed structurally to use it. Some of these products are ok to use with spot welding/resistance welding through uncured adhesive.

I can see the advantages of a panel bonding product in some ways, but don't want to use it 100% when my car had spot welds from factory.

Would it be ok to use panel bond for non structural panels, and then clean to bare metal with drill bit on cured adhesive, (like with weld through) in some plug welds in easy to get to/finish areas.

Thanks

No Turning Back
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:04 pm
After panel bonding adhesive is cured, you cannot weld within at least two inches of it. It only takes 350 degrees to kill the bond, it just turns almost to powder.

* Banned *

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:17 pm
In this business you need to read the tech sheet for any product. This applies to nearly every product on the planet. Some adhesives can be used with plug welding when following the TDS, others when resistance spot welding. In my restoration business, I use panel adhesive often when it is a non structural application. Read the TDS. Good luck welding next to or through adhesive. Do a test and you'll see why.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:39 pm
Well I appreciate the advice guys. Thanks for letting me know what happens.

Would have been real sucky to find it the hard way on my car.

Settled In

USA
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:27 pm
Technically speaking you are not supposed to use panel bond adhesive in structural applications, and mig welding and panel bond don't mix together well. If you use it in other areas stopping the adhesive bead at least an 1 inch short on each side of the plug weld area is your best chance but still may end up a nasty weld, like the OP said earlier.

Return to Welding & Metal Fab