New Mig welder purchase.

More of an art than a science - discuss metalworking and welding here.

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:57 pm
My brother and I are going to share the cost of a MIG welder from Eastwood. My first project is going to be some frame repair on an old Cadillac. I know basically nothing about welding, and I saw the Eastwood machine can use 2 different types of wire. Doesn't one of the wire styles not require gas? I won't be trying any body welding for awhile, so, if I understand, I could make frame repairs with just the wire and no gas? I'd rather not have the expense of the gas unless you guys think it makes a difference with the frame repairs I have planned. Any help is appreciated!!

Site Admin
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:55 pm
here's a pretty good article that lays out some things to consider:

https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/a ... em-and-why

Personally, I look like I know what I'm doing with my little gas MIG welder on mild steel. Comes out great. With flux core on the same project I struggle. On heavier projects like vehicle frames the "real" welders seem to go for a stick welder (arc welder) , from what I've seen. I'm sure a heavy duty enough MIG would be fine, too.

Also, I'm not sure I'd trust any 120V welder on a vehicle frame especially that old caddy frame. Maybe you are looking at 240V, I wasn't sure from your post.

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:40 pm
I would get a GAS MIG and not mess around with anything less.
On page two of this project I start welding on the frame with .035 wire. Used the same welder and .023" wire for the repairs to body panels.
My MIG is rated to 1/4" steel and has a 60% duty cycle.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Settled In
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:56 pm
Thanks guys for the quick response! I guess I'll get the gas. When you buy the gas, is it like propane where you pay a deposit for the tank, and then exchange it as needed? Could you give me an idea what the cost is for it? I certainly wouldn't need a huge body shop size tank. Any suggestions?

Board Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:59 pm
Basically, you buy the gas in the bottle and when done swap bottles.
I get the large tanks and they last me a very long time.
1968 Coronet R/T

ACTS 16:31

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:35 am
Mark 56 Pittsburgh wrote: When you buy the gas, is it like propane where you pay a deposit for the tank, and then exchange it as needed? Could you give me an idea what the cost is for it?

I recently replaced my tank. It was an exchange of the tank purchase. It's a cylinder about 2' tall (not sure of the capacity rating) which cost me about $65.00. Memory tells me this was quite a bit more than the previous tank a few years ago.

Side note: I am using a *Hobart Handler 187* 220v. It's not a high dollar unit, but it's still a much better welder than I am ;)

Fully Engaged
USA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:24 am
Also note, that tanks have an expiration date stamped on them. Once they expire they have to be re-certified before they can be refilled. When you buy your first tank check the date. My supplier told me about this my first time. The tanks are good for ten years from when they are certified. If you buy one that was certified 9 years ago it will only be able to be refilled for the next year then you will have to buy another one. Check the date to make sure they are selling you one that was certified recently to get the most bang for your buck.

Some place don't just exchange them but actually refill the one you have while you wait and the date then comes into play.

Return to Welding & Metal Fab